Roots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SparKy697

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have read conflicting opinions of what it means when a plant sprouts roots from the middle of the stem. Is there a definitive answer on this? Is it a good thing, bad thing, or just normal?

Neither good nor bad, just normal for certain plants. I believe they're called aerial roots and are a way to get more nutrients from the water column. Some plants seem to put out these roots no matter what you do, while others seem to stop as they get more established.

I think the term is "water roots" but same thing. And they are never a bad thing.. It means the plant is trying, not dieing.

I was going to get online and ask this very same question! I have a plant that has roots coming out of every stem. Below the roots the leaves have completly fallen off so I was going to cut the stem and plant the new roots. Is that the wrong thing to do? Above the roots the plant is flourishing. It's turning red and has nice thick leaves.

I always thought that the "areial roots" grew out cuz the water column had more nutrients then the substrate.

Makes sense...no?

I may have to swap out these plants then because I don't like the look of the roots in the water. They are gorgeous too.

I had thought it was due to a deficiency or near deficiency. I notice that my stargrass and Rotala do this when I start to see deficiency symptoms and all of my plants would do this in my 10 gallon QT when I had a TON of clippings in there (it does not get dosed with anything).

Out of all the plants I have (50 or so species), the Ludwigia species grows the most 'water roots' then any of my other plants. The are all growing very fast and healthy, but grow a tremendous amount of these roots.

Rotala are pretty bad too. I see a lot of them on the Alt. reinekki aswell. But they have been uprooted a lot by a big clutz.

I would not get rid of a plant because it has them, just wait and see. they may fall off when the root structure get's big enough.. (They are also a great hiding spot for some fish. my GBR's love them.)

My ludwigia all are doing it and some of the stargrass is too. In another tank the cabomba is too. I use root tabs and am dosing EI even though the test shows more nitrate and phosphate than I need. If I'm low on something, I don't know what it is. 260 W of light over a 55 and no algae. I would think if this tank is lacking something, I will know it soon.

The plant that is growing all the water roots is Ludwiga brevipes. I just don't find it all that attractive. The plant itself, very, but not the water roots. My Rotala indica doesn't have any water roots.

i have in the past clipped off unslightly roots, and the plants has not suffered from it...

SparKy697 said:
My ludwigia all are doing it and some of the stargrass is too. In another tank the cabomba is too. I use root tabs and am dosing EI even though the test shows more nitrate and phosphate than I need. If I'm low on something, I don't know what it is. 260 W of light over a 55 and no algae. I would think if this tank is lacking something, I will know it soon.

I think it might be the RATE of adsorption more than anything. Your tank might have all the proper nutrients and levels but the high light might be enough to make the plant "think" something is deficient and so it sends out the extra roots.

Or maybe they are just greedy? All I know is the plants in my QT that are left to float around where I add basically no fertilizer sprout these like crazy, while the ones in my main tank do so much less. There are many other possible factors, but I figured the nutrient one seemed the most plausible. Who knows, maybe they can sense when not attached to something and they send out these roots to attach and prevent being swept away?

I was hoping to be more optimistic by thinking that things are so great in the tank that they are trying every way to propagate. Self serving I know but there does not seem to be clear info on the web as to what is really going on.

Back
Top Bottom