Roots rot, java moss dying...??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kagentx

Aquarium Advice Activist
My problem is plants rooted into the flourite gravel is great, but plants depending on water nutrients aren't doing so great. My anacharius' roots are starting to turn brown. The java moss are just growing strings instead of those little leafs on the side. My stargrass are always rotting. Am i missing a nutrient? Because i'll start dosing either potasium or others. I'm frustrated. The water is a little cloudy also. please help

I just check my water parameters today and the readings are
GH: zero. I used aquarium pharmaceutical test kits and it turns yellow on the first drop
KH: five because i have crushed corals in it
pH: 7.4 also dued to crush corals.
phosphate: .02ppm i have a phosphate filter pad
nitrate: 10

my tank is a 50 gallon with 140watts of lighting on it. I have a CO2 pressurized system running 24hours a day at 2 bubbles per second.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :?

phosphate is too low. you want at least .5ppm, up to 1.0ppm If your nitrates were 20ppm, I'd suggest 1.5ppm of phosphate. They need to stay in a 10:1 or 15:1 ratio.

With that much light over the tank, you should have CO2 injection, dosing traces, dosing iron, dosing potassium...and ditch the phosphate pad because you don't have enough right now.

should i remove the crushed corals and use calcium carbonate to buffer up the kH and gH? i should buy some nutrients from gregwatson for iron choleride, potassium sulfate.
btw what do you mean by CO2 injection? i have a aqua medic reactor diffusing Co2, is that it?

Back
Top Bottom