Roseafolia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone with experience with this plant? I'm currently thinking of ordering some online because it is a nice looking plant and nowhere local carries them.

The tank I'd like to put it in is a 20g long, with a dual T5NO fixture. I have seachem flourish tabs, seachem flourish comprehensive, and I'm thinking about ordering some seachem excel, and maybe seachem potassium.

Would it grow with just tabs+comprehensive? Or would I need the excel and potassium? I am looking at potassium because some of my anubias have needle sized holes in their leaves which I believe is a potassium deficiency.

Telanthera Rosefolia (Alternanthera reineckii) is a relatively easy plant to grow and can even grow and keep it's color in a medium light tank. It should be fine in your shallow tank IMO. Using any liquid carbon (Excel) will help plants with photosynthesis and growth when used daily. It's a good idea to get either the Flourish Potassium or API Leaf Zone which is potassium and iron. Either will work. Root tabs aren't necessary with stem plants as they main absorb nutrients from the water not via roots.

i :agree: with Rivercats, It is pretty easy to grow. I have some of it in my 60g, its a slow grower, but mine get long fat red leaves which I like...I find that when I add more iron and potassium as Rivercats stated it grows better, as with my other coloring plants...IME.

Hm, so I'll definitely be grabbing some excel and potassium off amazon.

Should I go for the iron as well or will the iron from the 5 root tabs I have around the tank now be enough?

If your using Comprehensive and only have the one red plant then you will get enough iron from the Comprehensive. Even with the tons of non-green plants I have in my 220g I only use a supplimental iron once every couple weeks as I get enough from my normal ferts.

I see. Comprehensive contains potassium as well right? If that's the case would I be better off going with excel+comprehensive until I need the potassium+iron?

I haven't used Comprehensive in a couple years but I think it has a trace of potassium but not enough. You could try just using the Comp for now but if you start to notice pin holes in your plants leaves then you've got a potassium deficiency.

Yeah, the reason I got the comprehensive was because my anubias was developing pin holes. I read that it was a potassium deficiency as you stated. I got it a few days ago and am experimenting with the dosing frequency right now. I read 1-3 times a week so I'm starting with 1. The plants should be here midweek along with my flourish excel so I'm pretty excited!

Back
Top Bottom