Rotala ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was looking for mini butterfly. I couldn't find it from any of the bigger companies and I will be honest, with the time of year with how cold it is I didn't want to chance it with a private shipper. So while I was at petco yesterday I saw this and picked it up. I am just not sure if it's the mini butterfly or if it's the magenta. Also is it ok floating until Christmas? I can't rescape until the new tank is up.
I had my daughter hold it so I could get a decent pic so yes the plant is upside down.

It looks like rotala macrandra to me. In my experience, it's quite the sensitive and difficult plant. My guess it might not do so well floating until Xmas. I've planted mine straight away, so not sure about the floating it aspect.

That looks more like Rotala Magenta to me. The leaves are a bit too narrow for Macrandra.

Well I came up with something and hopefully it works. I used an old knee high and put a large rock in the bottom then some MG organic potting soil on top. Then I put the stems in and tied it up and placed it as best as I could so it gets light and it isn't over to many plants. Hopefully that will keep it good and allow it to grow until I can place it in it's permanent home.

It's emersed form red nesaea. When I looked at the pic again I noticed the bright pink stems. Nesaea yellow and red are known for those pretty pink stems when in emersed form. Sadly they will lose that color as they change to immersed growth and the plant leaves will change as well.

After reading that I think I am going to be in for to keep it alive! I am dosing the pps-pro and Glut and I am running DIY co2 and the highest light I can afford. Which is a 4 bulb t5 6500k. So I guess I will cross my fingers and hope it makes it to spring when I can get the mini butterfly.

I will! The funny part is my son thought that my dirt panty hose balls were new rocks! I almost peed my pants laughing!

And did you break the news gently that there was really no new "rocks" just mom's panty hose.... hummm? Inquiring minds want to know :lol:

Too bad you didn't get a video of all this cause it would definitely have been "Funniest Home Video's"!!!

Back
Top Bottom