Rotala Macrandra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glenc

Aquarium Advice Addict
Not trying to show off here, just am blown away by the beauty of this plant. Can't stop staring at it. It's like an under water rose. Gets fuller and more beautiful red just as it gets close to the surface. If you cut these tops and re-plant them, they hold that rich red colour. This is my favorite plant so far. I would have a tank full if I had room. I am thankful to you all for your advice. Couldn't have done it without you :D .

Not an easy plant and you've grown it great... why aren't you showing off? ;) Congrats!

I think success with this plant has alot to do with your water. Mine must be good for this plant, because I'm not really doing anything that special. My water is very hard, which is a supposed no no for macrandra. Hard water has more micro nutrients in it which Macrandra needs plenty of. Maybe thats partly why it does so well for me. I keep my macros at a ratio of 10NO3, 1PO4, I0K, give or take, dose two to three times a week depending on test results. Change 25% water once a week. Have eco-complete substrate and using Wizzards light theory, I have 5.7 WPG T-5 lighting. The old way using wattage consumed(wattage on the bulb added together) and not lumen output, I'm at 4WPG. Either way, high light. This is a must for this plant. Don't plant your stems to close together as the bottom leaves will die off and stems rot. I found re-planting the healthy tops keeps this plant growing healthy and red. Once you get it to root your on your way. Pull out the old bottom, roots and all and toss it. Good luck!

Glenc said:
Don't plant your stems to close together as the bottom leaves will die off and stems rot. I found re-planting the healthy tops keeps this plant growing healthy and red. Once you get it to root your on your way. Pull out the old bottom, roots and all and toss it. Good luck!

How close is too close? What do you mean by pull out the old bottom?

I plant my stems with about a 2" space between them. As the plant grows taller the bottom leaves get shaded and eventually start to die and fall off, even spaced 2" apart. Sometimes the stems start to rot as well. You'll know it's rotting when the whole plant starts to look sick. This takes about three weeks to start to happen in my tank. Once the stems start to rot or loose all the bottom leaves, cut the healthy top half of the plant off, pull out the dying leftover bottom, roots and all, and re-plant the healthy top half in the same spot. It will soon sprout new roots and the whole process starts over. I have tried leaving the old bottom in the substrate but it just starts to rot and dies, making a mess in your tank. If you planted the stems farther apart you might not have to do this as often, or maybe not at all, as the bottom part of the plant would receive more light. I would do this but my tank is just not big enough. I have to many other plants that need room as well. It is a bit of a pain but to me this plant is worth the effort, plus I'm always messing with my tank anyway! HTH

That helps! TY

Can you reccomend a the most efficient tool for pruning? (link?)

Also - Hornwort don't float do they? They are supposed to be planyed in the soil, right?

To prune I use a tool I got from BA called Tom's aquatic gardener. It come in 20" or 27" and cost 17 bucks can. for the smaller size. It has a stainless steel cutter and tong like gripper that are easily interchangeable. Works great, keeps your hands out of the tank.
As for Hornwort, I've never grown it but I think it will grow either way, depending on your preference. I like to plant stuff because floating plants block light to lower plants.

maybe I need to prune... my macrandra leaves are growing on top of older more bare stems.. the stems aren't rotting at all.. they are almost woody.. but if it will help I can try that.

also trying to up my water change percentage. right now I do frequent water changes but small ones. I may have let too much K build up which Tenor believes is hard on mac.

some small improvement with my increased Gh.

Sherry, definatly cut and re-plant. That's exactly how my plants looked before I re-planted, except my stems do rot. Your doing a better job than you think, you are keeping it growing! Once you re-plant that nice full top, it will root fast and stay red. You can try to leave the old bottom in, maybe it will sprout, dosn't for me. My re-planted tops still start to loose bottom leaves but look healthier longer than the original stem. Guess there is a bit of work to keep this plant! Never really thought about it!

Back
Top Bottom