Rotala Macrandra in Hard Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dapellegrini

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone had luck with this plant in hard water?

I got one stem when I started my tank back in September and all that is left is a pitiful little piece that has made some nearly microscopic buds, but otherwise is not growing at all... (my camera can't zoom close enough for a good shot):

DSC00346.JPG

I also rescued a little bit from a LFS, and am hoping I can turn it around, but am starting to think that my hard water is the problem. Tests around 240ppm gH...

DSC00324.JPG

My water has a GH about 15-17. My r. macrandra doesn't seem to mind, it's one of my best growers (for color and height).

I've also kept R. macrandra in fairly hard water ~15 dGH with some success but I will admit that it seems to grow better in softer, acidic water.

My water is around 18 to 19 dGH. When I first set up my tank R macrandra grew really well for me for about 3 months. I got cocky and started moving it and thinning it out trying to get more of it, it started to go pale and slowly melted away. I've tried a few times to get it going again with no luck. I am thinking my water is just to hard as well. It grew well just long enough for me to fall in love with it. It is one of my all time favorite reds, hope to get it going again one day. Here is a shot of it when it was growing for me. Beautiful plant :)

Back
Top Bottom