rotala wallichi care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
update : i pulled the R. Wallichii out, cut the new growth(the green stemmed parts) and stuck it in my substrate. I tossed the brown, crappy stuff out. If it grows, that's great. If it turns brown and looks crappy again, I'll pull it and admit defeat. I turned up my co2 a tad as well as buying another 6,700k bulb to replace the 10,000k.

Alright, that was a little too far on the Co2. All my fish are at the surface when I got home from work. Turned it down a tad(about the same amount I turned it up last night. My Amazon Sword is pearling like crazy, though. lol

Being patient sucks!

Fuzz said:
Alright, that was a little too far on the Co2. All my fish are at the surface when I got home from work. Turned it down a tad(about the same amount I turned it up last night. My Amazon Sword is pearling like crazy, though. lol

Being patient sucks!

Any update? I wanna do the same.

It isn't dying, but doesn't really seem to be growing either. I need to look at one specific piece and see if it looks any different tomorrow night.

After re-reading the PAR chart, I pulled one of my bulbs and am only running one 6,700k T5HO bulb and one Actinic T5HO bulb(for looks). According to the PAR chart, running both bulbs in my tank was overkill(too much light). I'm going to leave my setup like this for a week and see how it goes. As for now, my PAR should be around 100(high light). I'll update again on Friday unless I see some major changes.

I might have to play with my Co2 a little bit because it is now on a timer. I have it turn on an hour before the lights turn on(to get co2 levels up) and shut it off at the same time as the lights. I'd rather have a bit too much co2 than not enough. I'll keep a close eye on my fish to make sure they can handle what I pump in there. If they're gasping, obviously I went too far. Today my checker was green because I turned it way down so my fish could breathe. I'm going to slowly bring it back up over the next few days until I reach that lime-yellow color again.

It is definitely growing. The bottoms(that looked like hell) are gone and it looks kind of bare in my tank, but it will eventually fill out. I just ordered some Myrio Tuberculatum to fill in some other space on the other side of my tank. Hopefully I don't have issues with that as much as I have issues with R.W.

It's a pain of a plant, that's for sure. Mine appears to be rallying, but I've got some sort of algae that's doing it's best to stop it.

Still not much growth and I'm getting pretty tempted to remove it as well. However, it isn't dying and I'm thinking that there's some sort of deficiency in my tank. I read all about the EI dosing method and will probably start doing that once I run out of my current mix.

I'm also going to put some more iron in my tank. Cabomba Purple grows like a weed, but even the tops don't really get red/purple. They stay green unless it gets uprooted and floats in my tank, it has a slight purple hue when it is in the light on the underside of the leaves.

If I end up pulling it, I have plenty of other background plants that I can use to fill in space.

Fuzz said:
Still not much growth and I'm getting pretty tempted to remove it as well. However, it isn't dying and I'm thinking that there's some sort of deficiency in my tank. I read all about the EI dosing method and will probably start doing that once I run out of my current mix.

I'm also going to put some more iron in my tank. Cabomba Purple grows like a weed, but even the tops don't really get red/purple. They stay green unless it gets uprooted and floats in my tank, it has a slight purple hue when it is in the light on the underside of the leaves.

If I end up pulling it, I have plenty of other background plants that I can use to fill in space.

I pulled mine out. Everything else is growing fine but that one plant, so screw it. It just kept making a mess with the dead needles.

I just pulled one out because i was going to toss it, but it had some awesome roots! I'm keeping it for a while longer now. That made my day

Mine is just starting to recover. It got a dose of diatoms which it's not much liking, but I think it's going to be salvageable.

When I first setup the tank, it grew like mad. Pity really, it was a nice shade of pink for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom