Rotten Flourish Comp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tcal01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just did a WC and i was just about to add my weekly dose of comp but we i oppened it i noticed it had a strong smell and when i poured it out is was a greenish brown color. Is this normal?

I got it last week and i did not refirgerate it. On the bottle it says refrigeration is optional

Yeah it is optional, I was just wondering to try and figure out what could have happened. To be honest I'm not sure, however strong scent as well as color changes could indicate a chemical change that occurred within the solution.

Hopefully someone else will also chime in that has more experience with it (I just started using it myself). If no one does I would suggest calling Seachem directly, I'm sure they would have the answer.

From day 1, I have found every bottle of Flourish Comprehensive smells pretty funky. New bottle or old. But if you notice a MASSIVE change, something might be up.

Question- do you shake you bottle before opening? Did you when you first got it?

Batt4Christ said:
From day 1, I have found every bottle of Flourish Comprehensive smells pretty funky. New bottle or old. But if you notice a MASSIVE change, something might be up.

Question- do you shake you bottle before opening? Did you when you first got it?

I did shake it. What color is it normally? I thought it was clear but i can't remember

I have flourish which is a brown colour and has a funky smell. My flourish excel is clear

From what I remember it is supposed to be a greenish/brownish color and smell kinda like soy sauce. I know when I make a pmdd solution with my ferts they turn out that color.

Given that there is a micromix of nutrients in there I wouldn't expect it to be clear, flourish excel is clear though.

jetajockey said:
From what I remember it is supposed to be a greenish/brownish color and smell kinda like soy sauce. I know when I make a pmdd solution with my ferts they turn out that color.

Given that there is a micromix of nutrients in there I wouldn't expect it to be clear, flourish excel is clear though.

OK thanks. That's exactly what it smells like lol. I just put it in. thanks for all the help everyone.

Back
Top Bottom