Running an oxygenated CO2 reactor question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rabbit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, Im asking this in a couple of forums hoping someone can give me an answer.
I want to stick an aerator hooked up to an air pump into the CO2 reactor in a DIY yeast CO2 generator to oxygenate the yeast mixture. The reason for this is that in an aerobic yeast mixture the result is Carbon dioxide + Water + Energy, no alcohol, and to my understanding this will mean that the yeast won't be killed of and should continue to the process untill the sugars run out (rather than die off due to severe drunkeness. :D).
Now, the only drawback I can see here is that you cant use any normal infuser due to the O2 not really dissolving in water, so you'd get a lot of gasses escaping from the system. BUT since the CO2 and O2 don't mix, the CO2 should still dissolve somewhat the same rate, plus you get the added benefit that the reaction can be kept up longer.
I am trying this out in a small planted tank (5 gal I think) to test it.

Has anyone ever tried this? Did it work? Why/why not?

sounds like more trouble than it's worth

also, you cannot stop the yeast from producing alcohol. It is a byproduct of their metabolism of simple sugars, linking them into the carbohydrates that produce alcohol.

if you're looking to extend the life of your yeast culture, and willing to put up with the mess, you can eliminate 1/2 of the old mixture once it developes a good alcohol smell, and install a fresh batch of sugar water. The already active and enormous yeast colony will quickly set to work on the new food and favorable living conditions.

Or you could use a different yeast. Bread yeast is actually a very poor yeast to use in DIY mixes.

according to this site http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#3 (pretty good info I must say) in an oxygenated environment yeast doesn't produce any alcohol. Just Carbon dioxide + Water + Energy. And since Im trying to do this for a small tank, Ill be using an air pump for water circulation anyway.
Im just trying to see if there is any technical reason why not to do it. Ie, nasty chemicals that might get into the water column.
The article I linked to only says that its not a good idea, but it doesnt say why, and I can't think of any reason for it not to work. Considering the size of the tank, if all I have to do to keep the reaction going is add some sugar every once in a while, it would totally be a good idea.

By pumping air into the fermentation chamber, you'll be really diluting the CO2 coming into your tank. it'll be alot harder to get all of that volume to dissolve, and what you'll actually be doing is losing CO2 as the bubbles rise to the surface and release it into the atmosphere, rather than your water column. That is why it is a bad idea. Plus, it'll smell really bad.

-J

Back
Top Bottom