SAEs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman793

Aquarium Advice Regular
Are SAES compatible with angelfish? Im thinking 2 siamese algae eaters with my angelfish and other fish. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Are SAES compatible with angelfish? Im thinking 2 siamese algae eaters with my angelfish and other fish. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

They can get very aggressive when they get older. I would stay away from them. I have them in my 75 gallon mixed African cichlid tank. They hold there in that tank but they can get nasty.

They can get very aggressive when they get older. I would stay away from them. I have them in my 75 gallon mixed African cichlid tank. They hold there in that tank but they can get nasty.

Are you sure you have true siamese algae eaters? From what ive researched the false ones are quit aggressive but the true ones are not. I mean no offense.

Do you have any suggestions for algae eaters then? My bushynose pleco isnt doing much and im looking for another algae eater. Not shrimp cuz my fish have eaten them all so far and no snails cuz i have low ph so the snails die sooner.

I had 3 in my 56 g with 6 angelfish. No issues ever. They mind their own business

Are you sure you have true siamese algae eaters? From what ive researched the false ones are quit aggressive but the true ones are not. I mean no offense.

Do you have any suggestions for algae eaters then? My bushynose pleco isnt doing much and im looking for another algae eater. Not shrimp cuz my fish have eaten them all so far and no snails cuz i have low ph so the snails die sooner.

No offensive taken. Mine are aggressive. Here's a pic. I'm not right all the time ;)

And like to be corrected when wrong. It helps us both learn.

image-570302934.jpg

These guys were sold to me as CAE. I've also read here on the forum that they can get aggressive. I'd love to be corrected so I may give the correct information next time. I apologize if I gave wrong information.

Yup, that a CAE. SAE don't have suckers. CAE don't belong in most tanks, but an African tank is probably the best place for one, because unlike a peaceful SA tank, the inhabitants can usually dish and take the kind of attitude that CAE bring. As an aside, does yours still eat algae? Many reports I've heard have them becoming lazy and non-herbivorous later in life.

I've had SAE act a little aggressive before. They aren't necessarily maliciously aggressive like what you think of when you normally think of aggressive fish (think cichlids, etc), but rather they get to a point where they just don't want to be pestered by other fish and get kind of grumpy. Mine left all my other fish alone excepts for my Platies, which were inquisitive and bothersome, and pestered him while he was try to clean stuff.

Last edited:
I also have SAEs and they are very friendly to my community fish. I've had them off and on for about 12 years without any problems. Nice fish to have around but they can sometimes stop eating a lot of algae and get a taste for fish food after a while.

I also have SAEs and they are very friendly to my community fish. I've had them off and on for about 12 years without any problems. Nice fish to have around but they can sometimes stop eating a lot of algae and get a taste for fish food after a while.

This is true. I sometimes have to 'convince' mine not to eat normal fish food with the business end of a chopstick.

aqua_chem said:
This is true. I sometimes have to 'convince' mine not to eat normal fish food with the business end of a chopstick.

I may have to try out that method. I never thought about shooing him away from the food. Gotta love simple solutions.

I keep 4 SAE's with my 7 angels. Never had an issue with the angels, my angels are very peaceful and just stroll through the tank minding their own business but the SAE's are a bit aggressive, but they mind their own business too and keep the aggression towards themselves. Like I would see them chasing eachother around and it's kind of cute, but they never actually hurt anything. But, every fish is different. I guess I was lucky :)

No offensive taken. Mine are aggressive. Here's a pic. I'm not right all the time ;)

And like to be corrected when wrong. It helps us both learn.

View attachment 145589

These guys were sold to me as CAE. I've also read here on the forum that they can get aggressive. I'd love to be corrected so I may give the correct information next time. I apologize if I gave wrong information.

Yeah, they look like chinese algae eaters and they fit the behavioral description also. They fit the CEA acronym too.

I keep 4 SAE's with my 7 angels. Never had an issue with the angels, my angels are very peaceful and just stroll through the tank minding their own business but the SAE's are a bit aggressive, but they mind their own business too and keep the aggression towards themselves. Like I would see them chasing eachother around and it's kind of cute, but they never actually hurt anything. But, every fish is different. I guess I was lucky :)

You tank looks awesome!!! Your angels are so cool. Were some of those pinoys? I checked out the mellowaquatics website. Their fish look beautiful. Ahhhhhhh, i wish i had more tanks. Angelfish are my favorites.

Alright guys, thanks for the help! I got 2 SAEs today and they are looking great.

And good luck on all your future aquarium adventures!
Ill post a pic of them when i turn the lights back on.

Srry but its not letting me upload a pic but they r doing good.

Back
Top Bottom