Salinity level in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Consultree

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How much salt is too much for my freshwater plants? My fish recently picked up a fungus so I am thinking of adding some salt. Any suggestions ?

I would consider using a safe medication before salting the tank. I'm not sure that it would be that effective against fungus anyways.

I have medicated. I am just curious about people's takes regarding salt and freshwater plants

Salt Dose

How much salt is too much for my freshwater plants? My fish recently picked up a fungus so I am thinking of adding some salt. Any suggestions ?

Hello Con...

Most aquatic plants will do fine with a teaspoon (one-third of a tablespoon) of standard aquarium salt in every 5 gallons of treated tap water.

B

Salt may be tolerated in smaller doses in a planted tank but it is not needed. Many fish are also sensitive to it. The only good thing salt can do is if you have a nitrite problem, especially from tap water you can use 1/15th teaspoon of salt for every 10 gallons of water to counteract 1ppm of nitrite.

I also don't think it would do much good for a fungal infection. If you having a hard to treat fungal issue have you considered using medicated food?

Back
Top Bottom