Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Salt and Plants?? Bad idea?

So I have been running about 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons in my planted 29g tank -- recommended after a bout with ich. I know that the "preventative" use of salt is a bit controversial, but aside from whether it is a good idea/necessary/helpful for my fish, my question here is this: IS THE SALT KILLING MY PLANTS? I have been getting consistently diminishing performance (and eventually death) from my plants, even with regular bulb changes and fert dosing. And it (finally) dawned on me that it might just be the salt. Thoughts?

If anybody has been successful with a low tech tank and "preventative" salt treatment, I'd be interested in hearing about that.

TIA!

Old 10-01-2011, 01:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Define "Plants" for us. Some species tolerate it better than others

Old 10-01-2011, 01:33 AM   #3

I've had the following which diminished and then died over an extended period of time (maybe two years) -- jungle val (died), spiral val (died), rotala indica (required monthly trimming, then died), wendtii green (spread considerable, then wilted, perhaps dead), lutea (okay, but not thriving as it once was), amazon sword (each leaf is smaller than the previous until they die), anubias (grows fine, but slowly as would be expected). It's not like it was always like that -- initially the rotala, wendtii and lutea did really well. I've never had luck with swords.

Also, I keep the tank at 78 degrees -- but I think that has always been true.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:57 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Stop using salt. You don't need it.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Agreed, don't use it. I've actually seen (keep in mind I've never experienced this, nor read any actual scientific data) people say that ich can become resistent to salt if used regularly.

As for plants, IME, half the dosage recommended on the carton, when used to treat ich (~2 weeks), had no negative effects on my plants.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Not to hijack this thread but...

I wonder if it's the difference between regular aquarium salt and reef salt? Maybe the reef salt has more nutrients the plants need.

I have a BW aquarium and my plants do excellent with the higher salinity. I have the standards: java moss/fern, anubias, jungle val, crypts and ludwigia repens (which is not supposed to be tolerant of salt).

But, I do agree that salt for a FW tank is not a necessity.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish71 View Post
Not to hijack this thread but...
I wonder if it's the difference between regular aquarium salt and reef salt?
I have a BW aquarium and my plants do excellent with the higher salinity. I have the standards: java moss/fern, anubias, jungle val, crypts and ludwigia repens (which is not supposed to be tolerant of salt).
Not a hijack at all. Very interesting. Your ability to grow the same plants in BW at the very least suggests it's not "just the salt." Thanks for the info. I'm of course still hoping to find someone that has long term success with salt and plants in FW. I know, I know, but after a pretty rough first year, I've been over 2 years without disease in the tank (knock on driftwood). Coincidence, likely; difficult to stop, definitely.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Salt and Plants

Good morning fish...

High doses of standard aquarium salt will harm your plants. I use much smaller amounts of aquarium salt in my large, planted tanks and have never had a disease in any of my tanks. I started in the hobby about six years ago.

A teaspoon of aquarium salt in every five gallons of your water change water is good for the general health of your fish and aquatic plants are fine with a trace in the water. Most fish pathogens can't tolerate even a trace of salt in the water, another benefit of regular use.

I change out half the tank water every week in my tanks and my plants and fish are thriving. May have to send some pics out one of these days.

B
Old 10-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Clean water helps prevent disease, more than adding salt. I have gone almost 20 years now without a case of ich, and I don't use salt, or keep my tanks warm, in many cases. none of my livebearer tanks are heated. Saying that a little salt is good for fish health, because you have heard it somewhere, doesn't make it so. Freshwater fish evolved to live in salt free water. It is s stretch to think that adding salt is good for them.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #10
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Good morning fish...

High doses of standard aquarium salt will harm your plants. I use much smaller amounts of aquarium salt in my large, planted tanks and have never had a disease in any of my tanks. I started in the hobby about six years ago.

A teaspoon of aquarium salt in every five gallons of your water change water is good for the general health of your fish and aquatic plants are fine with a trace in the water. Most fish pathogens can't tolerate even a trace of salt in the water, another benefit of regular use.

I change out half the tank water every week in my tanks and my plants and fish are thriving. May have to send some pics out one of these days.

B
No offense, but that is complete nonsense. Show me some data. The only tanks that should have any salt (and aquarium salt doesn't count) are brackish / marine tanks, tanks under a heat/salt ich treatment, and as an emergency time buyer in a high nitrite situation. JMO, but it has worked with 80 tanks and hundreds of species of FW fish, inverts and plants.

Tags
plant, plants, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com