Salt in a planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadowstars123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know plants don't do so hot with salt in the tank long-term, but would two weeks with 1 tbsp of salt per 5 gallons be fine? I have java moss, brazillian pennyworts, wisteria, and amazon swords, and on a side note, there seems to be a green fuzzy algae on the plants and on the glass, any idea what to do?

I dosed salt at half the recommended dosage (can't remember what it is, whatever the API box says) in my 125 and had no effects on the plants. Did wonders on the ich though.

Okay great, I'm going to try to kill it off with high temperatures first though, I have discus and angels, and a clown loach, so I'll raise the temps up to 87 for two weeks.

I had mine at 88 with the half dose of salt. I have 4 clown loaches, which are the ones who were affected. I went ahead and treated the whole tank though, as I knew the others most likely had it but didn't show it.

mfdrookie516 said:
I had mine at 88 with the half dose of salt. I have 4 clown loaches, which are the ones who were affected. I went ahead and treated the whole tank though, as I knew the others most likely had it but didn't show it.

Did you do any pwc's during the salt treatment?

Back
Top Bottom