Same little tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
do they eat plants? my yabby never did...although if you're in the states it's probably different species etc

BrianBSHS said:
Is that the kit, though? I needed the one with the filter and heater and net and everything.

No, it's just the tanks by them selves, sorry. Try looking online for filters and heaters:)

wellllllllllllllllllllllllllll.........................
scaled.php

I had to get a bigger tank anyway, right?
obviously I need to go get ANOTHER light bulb... Is two 10W, 6500k bulbs too much?

BrianBSHS said:
Well I don't want co2, this tank is in my dorm room and the lower tech it is, the better. I know ammonia and nitrite should be at zero but like I said, the tank isn't fully cycled yet.
I'd like to eventually get some shrimp, if I get a 5gallon, could I put a beta in with shrimp and a couple snails? And have the beta possibly help control the shrimp population?

As for the bulb, I couldn't find anything over 3300k so I'm still looking for a good bulb. Probably 13w 6000k or something like that.

I'm not done reading this thread but I thought I would say that my betta hunts my MTS snails. I dont think he's eaten any and he leaves the zebra nerite alone... I imagine he'd eat shrimp though! LOL!

BrianBSHS said:
wellllllllllllllllllllllllllll.........................

I had to get a bigger tank anyway, right?
obviously I need to go get ANOTHER light bulb... Is two 10W, 6500k bulbs too much?

Now I'm done reading it all. Nice looking tank there! I wish I knew more about crawfish and planted tank light needs. All I know is Anubias don't need a ton of light. Best of luck! What did you name him?

Well the reason I'm considering not getting a betta is because I think this guy will eat him. I need to get some more decorations for this tank, but I also want some fish.

Does anyone know of a good, QUICK, top dwelling fish?

I'd like to eventually get some shrimp, if I get a 5gallon, could I put a beta in with shrimp and a couple snails? And have the beta possibly help control the shrimp population?

You can't fit 10 gallons of species into a 5 gallon tank. I know you're limited to tank size due to school, but remember that that also limits you to species size.

Edited to add, I see more pages are in this thread than I thought. I'll have to read the rest to see exactly where you stand.

You can't fit 10 gallons of species into a 5 gallon tank. I know you're limited to tank size due to school, but remember that that also limits you to species size.

Edited to add, I see more pages are in this thread than I thought. I'll have to read the rest to see exactly where you stand.

....well obviously someone didn't read the whole thread...

Well, obviously someone just finished reading the whole thread.... but c'mon, I mean, you change species and tank size faster than I change my socks. :lol:

Well, obviously someone just finished reading the whole thread.... but c'mon, I mean, you change species and tank size faster than I change my socks. :lol:

:p it was all so spontaneous

I wasn't even expecting the crawfish, but when they said he was free... lol
I really just wanted something other than those silly comets.

Last night I put my adopted crayfish into his new tank. I purchased a TopFin 10 gallon Aquarium Starter Kit from PetCo. I transferred everything into the new tank, and put the old filter into the new one to aid with the cycle.
photoko.jpg

I woke up after his first night in the new tank and he's already molted. I had class and only grabbed this crappy shot, but I took a few of him chomping on it.

scaled.php

size comparison

This is from the other thread I made because I thought I lost this thread. sooo...

So I bought a 10 Gallon TopFin Goldfish Aquarium Kit, and that was great, but I just saw PetCo's sale and went and got 40% off a 10 Gallon Aqueon Deluxe Aquarium Kit.
scaled.php

scaled.php

I've been trying to cycle the tank, but because the Aqueon Quiet Flow filter is nicer I was wondering if putting that in and turning the old one off would keep the cycle? I can't fit both filters in the aqueon to make the beneficial bacteria carry over directly. Could I take the carbon out and put it in the other? Or is there another way I can carry the cycle better from filter to filter?

scaled.php
scaled.php

I'm checking the Ammonia and Nitrites right now.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: .1

BrianBSHS said:
I've been trying to cycle the tank, but because the Aqueon Quiet Flow filter is nicer I was wondering if putting that in and turning the old one off would keep the cycle? I can't fit both filters in the aqueon to make the beneficial bacteria carry over directly. Could I take the carbon out and put it in the other? Or is there another way I can carry the cycle better from filter to filter?

I'm checking the Ammonia and Nitrites right now.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: .1

Run both filters on the tank and that should help seed the new filter. If the old filter cartridge fits the new filter you could just swap them also.

Run both filters on the tank and that should help seed the new filter. If the old filter cartridge fits the new filter you could just swap them also.

The old cartridge sits behind the new one, ill run it this way until I can remove it and just run filter the way it was intended.

It's nice for fake. Disguise it w real plants. I use real wood also. But I started w fake. I have Manzanita and Driftwood in my tanks now.

I would disguise it, but I like the look of it, the structure, and the amount of holes over a real piece of driftwood.

Back
Top Bottom