sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks I should have asked the question before I started my 2nd tank but play sand works good

brandon1420 said:
Has anyone used paver sand in there tanks and is it safe to use

The sand switch was the best change I ever made in my tank. The key is to rinse it a whooooollllle lot. I'd get a small bucket and rinse it pound by pound. Some fill a five gallon bucket but I find by using a smaller amount I'm more able to get EVERYTHING out. Play sand works, pool filter sand and there's a sand they sell at most pet stores. Turn any filters off during this process until the water is clear or close to it. And you will probably need to leave them off for a little while. I like the pet store sand because it acts as a buffer but its pricey. You can fill your tank with play sand for under 10 bucks, you'll just need to spend more time rinsing it.

I use Black Diamond Blasting Sand or CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand. Pool Filter Sand is great also. I avoid play sand personally, but I'm sure it works. I just like black sand or I'd use CaribSea Moonlight Sand. They make pretty sand. I use TMS over the top of my Black Diamond and my Flourite.

ashleynicole said:
doesn't play sand raise PH??? I use pool filter sand.

I don't test water so idk... all fish super happy except my African butterfly fish XX he jumped :'(

I bought paver sand and had already put it in my new tank I liked the look of it but if it does not work I heard the blasting sand works great

Its been 2 weeks the paver sand is working great in the new tank the water values are great

here is quikrete medium grade commercial sand over dirt. Sand was $5 for 50# bag at home depot dirt was $7 miraclegro organic potting mix.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120617_162801.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120617_162801.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 63
  • ForumRunner_20120617_162832.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120617_162832.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 68
  • ForumRunner_20120617_162859.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120617_162859.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 62
  • ForumRunner_20120617_162943.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120617_162943.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 76
Thanks. I am in process of switching to dirted tanks - so far the first one I converted to dirt in April is home to the plumpest,most colorful fish and shrimp out of many- and unlike the planted non dirt tanks there is no algae, only water top offs (not changes) and good all around plant growth.

yes it was a major operation. Removing everyrhing, temporary quarters for fish shrimp and plants, getting sand out, laying hardscape, spreading and evening dirt, putting sand cap back, planting, adding water without stirring dirt,etc etc was a big job - did two tanks yesterday was 10 hrs total

Thanks I'm wanting to put miraclegrow in my 55gal does it have to be sand on top

Back
Top Bottom