Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I am planning a 55 gallon goldfish tank, and I would like to have sand as the substrate. I am looking at Seachem's Fluorite Black sand, but it is expensive.
I plan to plant the tank also. Would play sand or pool filter sand work even if I plant the tank? Can I just use fertilizer and root tabs? Would you guys recommend pool filter sand, play sand, or Seachem's sand?

Thank You! :thanks:

Sadly, gold fish and plants generally don't mix. The goldfish will shred the plants to their hearts content.

You can use any sort of substrate for plants but for sand the larger the grain size the better. The pool filter sand works well for plants but keep in mind that you will have to add root tabs for any heavy root feeding plant whether you have plant substrate or not.

I have to disagree. Goldfish only go after plants if they aren't provided enough greens in their diet. Tough plants are always a good start. Java fern, anubias, bolbitis, moss, large swords, elodea and lilies do well in goldfish tanks. Pool filter sand should be sufficient IMO.

I have to disagree. Goldfish only go after plants if they aren't provided enough greens in their diet. Tough plants are always a good start. Java fern, anubias, bolbitis, moss, large swords, elodea and lilies do well in goldfish tanks. Pool filter sand should be sufficient IMO.

This is definitely true. Ive kept goldfish in heavily planted tanks in the past without problems. Only time I ever saw them pick at plants was when there was food that got stuck to it

Hmm that's interesting. My friends goldies demolished her plants.

Hmm that's interesting. My friends goldies demolished her plants.

I know ive heard they are supposed to but try getting your freind to feed something else. Omega one tropical flakes is what I fed mine and they were great

Either works just the same no matter what. The pfs is larger grain and falls to the bottom faster when picked up or disturbed by fish

Agree on the pfs. I have it in all my goldie tanks and they are heavily planted. Lots of daily veggies are a must if you don't want your plants to become a free salad bar. ;)

Back
Top Bottom