Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2018, 09:23 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitabout View Post
No worries I still have the messy play sand in one of my tanks and I haven't ever had any issues with it past the first week!
I have decided on Aquavitro substrate

Old 07-09-2018, 01:43 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
I used play sand once. Dirty. I just picked up some pool filter sand. Going to use it in a new build. Not sure if I will have (rooted) plants. If I do I will be supplementing the substrate with root pellets. I have never tried soil. Fear of the messiness I suppose. I have used EcoComplete for the last 5 years with good results.
Dirt is the only way to go. I was completly new to the concept. I readereched a few weeks then jumped in head first. It turned out great. I wish I still had pictures of the 10g I dirted. everything grew like crazy.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:16 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

My 150 -- my 2nd planted tank -- I did with dirt and sand cap. It was amazing growth for the first 3 years. Now, it's exhausted and I'm about ready to give up and tear the whole masterpiece down. Plants just aren't doing as well. I fertilize (water and tabs in the substrate), but it's not helping enough.

Dirted tanks are also MURDER if you like to move plants around. Anytime you haul stuff up from the dirt (roots!), dirt particles end up in the water. Cloudy mess. Drives me insane.

Aquavitro-type substrates are also really nice, but I don't think they 'scape as well. Much harder to make hills and stuff. Also fragile, and you end up with mud pretty easy if you rustle it up. Still, good stuff.

Just my 0.02, crusty old gulo that I am.

Tags
plant, plants, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com