Sand stirring with plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
Since I have PFS in my tank (it is still cycling, no plants yet), I was thinking about how exactly you go about stirring the sand when cleaning? As many people do, I always stir my sand to prevent gas pockets from developing...but with plant roots having the potential to make their way all along the substrate, how do you do it? Or is it not a problem since the roots are actively taking in nutrients (though I am not sure how much with PFS)?

Let me know.

I don't have any problems stirring in either of my tanks. They both have playsand (which compacts more than PFS, FYI) and I just use my fingers and run through the sand. I used to just use a new, never used hair pick to stir the sand but I found that I would snag too many roots. Once my tanks became more and more plants I just switched to doing it by hand.

I've always used my hand anyway, so this will be a familiar task, :-D. So I guess when you do it, just be careful not to yank any roots?

If you want MTS in your tank you can. I am all for not adding fish/inverts just to rectify a problem. If you really want them in the tank then add them. Don't get stuck with livestock just because you had an issue with something in the past.

That being said, they are extremely efficient at stirring the substrate. :)

Back
Top Bottom