Sand substrate plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giffmastaflex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55gal tank that's been running for about 5-6 years now and looking to transfer to real plants instead of fake ones. Right now I have pool filter sand in the bottom of the tank and I'm not looking to change that as of now. Is there any plants that will do good in sand? Should I pot them then put them in? If so is there a type of pot/ sand I should use? I also have some green hair algae (lights are not on for that long anymore), would that affect the plants?

sand is just another substrate, you can grow any plant in any substrate as long as it isn't poisonous somehow.

sand is just another substrate, you can grow any plant in any substrate as long as it isn't poisonous somehow.

But doesn't the sand "suffocate" the roots from getting nutrients since it's sort of packed down?

But doesn't the sand "suffocate" the roots from getting nutrients since it's sort of packed down?

Simple answer; no. I have grown almost every aquatic plant in sand or bdbs, including ludwigia pantanal (successful orange coloration).

Does anyone have the substrate flourite black sand? I am wondering if it ever gets so it doesn't puff up a huge cloud of black dust into the water when ever the substrate is slightly disturbed? I have just put it into a tank and am now cycling the water. I haven't put a single decoration in because it gets super cloudy when I touch the substrate. Hoping it will get better with time.

Back
Top Bottom