Save my dwarf hair grass please!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShayneBrown213

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, so I've grown dwarf hairgrass from seed. It was doing really well to start off but now it's slowly dying. It was started in my aquarium before water was added and i followed the directions on the seed pack (place seeds in substrate, moisten substrate, wait till sprouts then add water). I added water from my oldest aquarium that has zero problems so i know the water is okay. I added cherry shrimp and they're breeding. I've added fertilizer but now my shrimp are being affected☠ I've tried cutting it back to sprout new growth. Aside from getting co2 I don't know what to do!!! Help! I don't want to disturb the babies by taking out the dwarfgrass! Which is now carpeted.

Do you happen to have a pic or a few views?

The heavy metals can affect shrimp for sure. I grow dwarf hair grass in pretty low lighting. No ferts and its growing okay.

Do you happen to know what the Latin name is (or is supposed to be)? Often seeds bought online are mislabeled.

What size is your tank?

Do a bunch of pwc, smaller ones like 15% over and over so that you can get out as much as you can of the excess ferts.

Also do you use Prime water conditioner? It will help bind the heavy metals, but there could also be other things bad for shrimp.

Hello, so I've grown dwarf hairgrass from seed. It was doing really well to start off but now it's slowly dying. It was started in my aquarium before water was added and i followed the directions on the seed pack (place seeds in substrate, moisten substrate, wait till sprouts then add water). I added water from my oldest aquarium that has zero problems so i know the water is okay. I added cherry shrimp and they're breeding. I've added fertilizer but now my shrimp are being affected☠ I've tried cutting it back to sprout new growth. Aside from getting co2 I don't know what to do!!! Help! I don't want to disturb the babies by taking out the dwarfgrass! Which is now carpeted.

first off chances are you didn't actually receive dwarf hairgrass seeds. sorry to say but many aquatic seeds aren't actually what they are sold as. if you did happen to get true seeds then off to the second issue. this is one reason i will not do a dry start method. you plant and everything grows great but then many times your plants need to acclimate to submersed growth and will melt during this transition destroying everything you grew emersed. would you possibly link where you bought these seeds at?

Back
Top Bottom