'scaping and too many species? (Long post, pictures.)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you!

newfound77951, it's 2x13w and 20w NO T12, plus whatever light comes from the bulb beside the tank in the first post. I'm still trying to figure out how to stagger light effectively to keep color while limiting growth rate. The P. is for Pogostemon -- Pogostemon stellata "fine/narrow leaf" is sometimes still erroneously called Eustralis stellata, should you be looking for info on it. The full genus name of everything is in myInfo if that helps.

7Enigma, daily its only a couple minutes for dosing. Its not uncommon for me to do a couple little trims weekly though to get leaf density high, and because it relaxes me. There's a DIY CO2 mix change weekly. I spent like four hours with it yesterday. This tank is kind of dynamic time wise, especially if I try to monkey with it.

Thanks Glen and Rich! I'm glad you like it too.

Cz, your tank is looking pretty good man. I like the comment that Travis made, where he says you have proven you can grow all the hard plants (10.0 difficulty). He then suggests some ways to improve the look of things.
This is the problem that I find myself in... as I have been successful in growing more and more types of plants, I find myself collecting or hoarding species. In fact, I just did a quick count and my new 72 gallon has 43 different species of plants in there. 8O Perhaps the key is to focus more on "aquascaping" for a visually pleasing effect, rather than having a collection of individually interesting plants. Having 10-15 species, or even as few as 5-10 would probably be easier to work with, and thus end up with a more aesthetically pleasing tank.
One simple hardscape idea is to use some driftwood to create a terrace in one corner. This adds driftwood, and creats a 3D scape to work with. And is very simple to work with.
Here is a shot of this idea that I took last weekend while setting up my new tank:
http://webpages.charter.net/zezmo/Hardscape-1.JPG

I have some of those Echinodorus Parviflorus "tropica". That is a great foreground sword plant. I did not want to hijak your thread, so here are some links to pictures of this plant. I tool these about 5 minutes ago, and the plants have been in one of my tanks for about a month and a half (the tank they are in now has been set up and stocked for about 4 days). The emersed leaves they had when I first got them look nothing like the current "hammered" leaves.

Some close ups:
http://webpages.charter.net/zezmo/E_Parva_Tropica-1.JPG
http://webpages.charter.net/zezmo/E_Parva_Tropica-2.JPG

A shot of all 7 plants in the group, as you see I use them to accent some driftwood:
http://webpages.charter.net/zezmo/E_Parva_Tropica-3.JPG

Here is a shot of one of my fat little Oto's sitting on the plantlets that are growing off of one plant. These plants seem very prolific and I have 5 out of 7 that have produced runners so far:
http://webpages.charter.net/zezmo/E_Parva_Tropica-4.JPG

Man, E. parviflorus "Tropica" looks sweet. I love what you're doing with your tanks, and that corner looks fantastic. Appreaciate the tip!

I really hope hardscape is a skill that can be learned. The idea of a pretty hardscape or iwagumi with limited number of species appeals to me. Your thoughts are much like mine: I'm definitely still at the point where individual plants are more interesting than the 'scape, and getting past that is daunting to me...

Do you find it is easier to come up with ideas for your new tank than it is to adapt your existing tank?

Just a pic after no trimming since the last pic. (Growing out for my first plant club meet. Pretty excited :) ) The tank is messy and unruly but the fauna seem to like it :)
tank_060421.jpg

Added two Blyxa japonica (right center) last week. Might be changing the layout if I get one or two plants on my want list. Looking at other's tanks in this new forum is very inspiring, and makes it easier to visualize changes. I still agree with Zezmo, and personally doubt I will progress with layouts until I get over collecting species or comit to a larger tank :/

Perfect hobby. :)

Man, that tank is packed! You seem to get great results with your propagation methods, things just seem to take off.

IMO, fauna will always appreciated a heavily planted (flora) tank, what could possibly be better? :D

Thanks Bill. Should have mentioned that I've also kept the "noon" lighting period at 6 hours and dosed NO3 near 20 when trying to increase growth. Normally I do little trims throughout the week. The tetras are a lot more explorative with the tall plant cover; normally one seems dominant and chases the others into hiding. The kuhliis hang on L. brevipes sometimes :)

Here's problem areas for anyone interested in these plants:

stuntingstellata_060421.jpg

Classic stunting from P. stellata "fine leaf." I think this is from uprooting and replanting the stem. So now it will probably send up shoots from that tip... it doesn't recover. I'll keep taking pics of it if perople are interested in what that looks like. (An example from last July.)

ediversifolia_060421.jpg

glosso_vertical_060421.jpg

E. diversifolia's leaves turning purple/black (this is bad, but I think it looks neat) and vertical glosso. I think this is because the left side was badly shaded by floating H. sidthorpiodes, which is normally wrapped around the drain.

Amazing...I've never seen such a deep blue in any plant before. Vertical glosso isn't as bad as folks may think...it appears to look more natural that way than horizontal. Wanna let it go and see what happens?

You've got me thinking about it. Its only recently that I've grown dense low glosso carpets, and I actually ripped all of it up months ago because it never hugged the substrate for me, but a bit somehow survived and decided to hug the substrate, and since then it likes me :) If I try your idea, I'm thinking of keeping it unshaded so it spreads, then shade it to grow it tall, so it is still dense. I might just not uproot it after a few months and see how it turns out.

Tank looks great CZ. I like the grown in look. You have great levels and colors along with varied leaf shapes.

Not much to see except a couple new plants, but here's an update. I'm over L. repens "Rubin" in this tank and switched it for R. macrandra from my softwater tank. It's not in top shape or anything, but I can't get over how well light hungry plants will grow in severe GW.

tank_060509.jpg

Here's the center now. The short oval-leaved green plant on the right of R. macrandra is emersed L. verticillata var inclinata "Pantanal" from the SCAPE meet. When it transfers to submerged growth I hope it looks like this.
macrandra_060509.jpg

Also got L. palustris at the meet. It looks a lot like L. repens so far, save for a slight pink underside and yellow-green top of the leaf. It is apparently possible to get it a beautiful orange.
lpalustris_060509.jpg

And got HC from a generous guru. I realize adding yet another carpet plant is probably stupid, but in my head this might work.
hc_060509.jpg

Here's what the connected "sump"/paludarium looks like. That green plant growing out the water section (not the crypts) is the "Mermaid weed" pictured in the first post of this thread. The red plant behind it is new L. repens "Rubin" emersed growth after a recent trim. The water level is a little high because I'll be gone for a few days.
palud_060509.jpg

I'm back to learning plants in this tank instead of aquascaping. I will try again with these principles on my next tank.

So here's some last pics from today. With flash to better show color:
tank_060606.jpg

Here's comparison pics of something I find interesting. The Blyxa japonica on the left is the one that's been there since the last update. The larger, redder one of the right of it is from my severe green/softwater tank. I am becoming sure that nutrients and CO2 are more important than light, and will hopefully learn something by messing with this tank again in regards to growth and nutrients.
blyxajaponica_060606.jpg

R. indica/Ammania sp. "Bonsai" again from the GW tank:
rindica_060606.jpg

Pic of the Hillie:
hillie_top_060606.jpg

And bonus pics of the half-gal tank beside this one that you've seen glimpses of above.

Jchillin: your idea about growing glosso higher as a midground works well in here I think. I wonder if I can shape it so it slopes up more and blends nicely with M. umbrosum/Baby tears:
halfgal_060606.jpg

This is what it looked like a few days ago before trimming. I might start logging it somewhere.
halfgal_060529_back.jpg

If by chance you're still interested in this tank from a non-aquascaping standpoint, the log is here.

Thanks again for all the advice. I am attempting to apply it to other tanks.

Two months later, most of those plants are in my 10gal, which is more of a growout tank than anything. (Its just a box of plants :/ )

Switched to daily dosing and want to get the B. japonica orangeish.

Looking for a fish recommendation and something to put right center. Like the open foreground or think it should be filled?

tank_060807.jpg

I actually like the foreground open, surprisingly enough. If you do decide to put something in the foreground I'd go for some Dwarf Clover. I'd also like to see either more plants in the back right or some in the back left to balance them out. Looking forward to more updates.

Thanks. There's Rotala pusilla left center behind the Blyxa japonica. When it grows up it should be about half the height of the right side. Please also forgive my low water line (my sump return pump is turned down.)

For the non-bottom dwelling fish I can't decide if I'll remove the lone female Cherry barb, give her a boyfriend and a girl to relieve the stress, switch to a blue-eyed Rainbowfish, or maybe hold out for the little tiny Rasboras. Maybe Pencilfish? The fish must like current.

Psuegdomgil furcatus are wonderful little dwarf blue-eyed rainbows and the males look absolutely stunning.I have about 4 males and 2 females and they actively swim throughout the tank, another plus is that they don't prey on dwarf shrimp which I'm happy with. Dwarf rasboras are also cute little fishes that are nicely colored espeacially the Mosquito rasbora which I have fallen in love with.It's a bit of a hassle to feed them though, might went fine on crushed flakes and occasional frozen daphnia but I have never seen them eat the daphnia.HTH

Thanks for the info Andrew. I ended up getting 9 P. furcatus a couple days ago, and removing the Cherry barb (after earlier removing the Blue tetras). I think they fit the scale of the tank much better, and are certainly more interesting than the Tetras. I am culturing Daphnia and hope they work alright for live food. (I got the Daphnia from the breeder.)

Also got P. gertrudae for my 2.5gal... will see how it goes.

--

edit: I can't get a decent shot of P. furcatus, so here's a terrible one and a whole tank shot. It's Bacopa "Colorata" from a fellow SCAPE member for the right center, and the Bacopa australis that was on the far right is out. I hope it works better space wise once the tank fills out.

Do your P. furcatus have red around the head, Andrew? The breeder's did and I'm not sure if I should be worried about it.
pfurcatus.jpg

tank_060812.jpg

Hm...I *think* they do...just can't remember correctly.Maybe answering posts just after you wake isn't a good thing lol.Well if they were fed live foods from the breeder they probably colored up better than the ones I found at Dolphin Pet Village.P.getrudae...another beautiful rainbowfish, I saw my first one at Aqua Forest and they were the tiniest things ever, but sadly they only had one left.Your tank looks so clean and algea-free something I can never get.Anyways...I'll get back to you on the P.furcatus later.
*edit*
yeah my P.furcatus have that pink-ish red-ish hue to their head. I guess I never really noticed it because I'm too busy looking at their beautiful tails.Anyways have fun with them. =]

I'm still adjusting my daily dosing -- right now I'm adding 2mL of TMG and .1ppm Fe from CSM+B+Extra Fe in the morning, then a solution of 2ppm NO3, .7ppm PO4, and a lot of K in the everning. I only feed the fish every other day. My goal is mostly the bronze-ish B. japonica I had when it was in greenwater (pictured above). Bonus is now growth rate seems slower. Minus is I know the plants could be healthier. I think I can figure it out.

Here's some close-ups. Notice how pink the B. "Colorata" is getting already. When I got it it was really green.
bacopa_colorata_060815.jpg

righttop_060815.jpg

This is the B. japonica I think will be the most colorful.
bjaponica_top_060815.jpg

But this one is the happiest I think.
blyxa_japonica_060815.jpg

Travis, did you figure out how to keep this color long term?

Back
Top Bottom