schultz aquatic soil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justDIY

Aquarium Advice Addict
well well well ... I finally found some ... $9 for 10 lbs (cheaper than flourite eh? hardly)

anyway, I bought two bags, planning to setup a 10 gal as an experiment

so I get it home, cut open a bag, scoop some into a test tube and add acid

I figure they've gotten WONT AFFECT PH written in huge letters several times on the bag ... that's gotta make you worry

so ... it fizzes right up, almost spilling over onto my hands

it fizzes worse then marble folks ... what's the deal here?

did I get a bad batch, am I reading the results wrong, or what

-----

those of you using it in aquariums, how's your PH doing, how about KH and GH?

seems risky to be adding something so reactive to an otherwise controlled enviroment ... my water is already very hard, don't need to make it extra hard

I know I can mix in distilled water to reduce hardness, but my current hardness coupled with adding co2 keeps the ph around 7.2 which is fine.

My ph holds pretty steady, 6.7-6.9, depending on my Co2 levels. Gh and KH also not affected in my tank.

$9 for 10lbs. cheapest I ever found fluorite was $14 for 10lbs, and I had to drive 45 miles to get it. Enough for a 90 gallon tank, and heck yeah Schultz woulda saved me $$$. BTW, I got my schultz for under $8 a bag.

You really have to rinse it a lot, dunnow if that will affect your acid experiment.

Sorry if you are dissapointed, but all I can do is relate my experience, which is all positive.

schultz was like 6 bux for me, and i liked the look. It gives a real mulchy look to your tank, like a garden type thing

well, the 10 gallon it's going into is just for experiment anyway, so what harm right?

I will rinse it good and then try the acid experiment again - problem with that is my water is alkiline and just mixing it with acid gets a reaction ... maybe need some distilled water to test with.

I've already planted some new swords in this soil, it does look nice ... a tannish red instead of gray like kitty litter :)

thanks for your feedback y'all

Hey GLMCLELL, Where did you find your Schultz, out here on the west coast that stuff is near impossible to find, and I really want some. On their web site the only places near my house that are listed as "Authorized Schultz Dealers" are places like Wal-Mart. They don't carry the aquatic soil, and I refuse to pay as much in shipping as the stuff cost.

do you have an ACE hardware on the west coast?

the ace here can order it, for around $9 a bag ...

I had to drive an hour to the closest walmart, where they had 3 bags in their garden department, by the pond display.

any sort of hardware store that sells other Schultz products can probably order you the aquatic stuff

Good luck in your search !

40 pound bag of Schultz? ... for 6.93? I was only aware of it in 10 and 25 lb bags ... is this a differen brand maybe? Not regular potting soild right?

wowzers

I just bought 50 pounds (5 bags) for $45

Back
Top Bottom