Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2017, 11:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Seachem doing more harm than good?

I'm searching for some great advice and pointers on my aquatic plants. Recently I have been using the Seachem flourish, excel, iron, advance ECT liquid supplements for my plants in my tank I have noticed that my plants rotala, amazon sword and a select few others have literally started decaying?! Exsp the rotala it honestly fell apart has being getting discolored, browns, yellows. It's really sad and frustrating and I'm doing everything to salvage them. I've completely cut the seachem injections out. And triple checked I was dosing correct. Any thoughts?

Old 08-22-2017, 01:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Seachem doing more harm than good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbby View Post
I'm searching for some great advice and pointers on my aquatic plants. Recently I have been using the Seachem flourish, excel, iron, advance ECT liquid supplements for my plants in my tank I have noticed that my plants rotala, amazon sword and a select few others have literally started decaying?! Exsp the rotala it honestly fell apart has being getting discolored, browns, yellows. It's really sad and frustrating and I'm doing everything to salvage them. I've completely cut the seachem injections out. And triple checked I was dosing correct. Any thoughts?

What lighting and substrate do you have? Rotala is generally a high light plant and isn't the easiest plant to grow. It's very sensitive I've found.

Also what size is your tank?

Old 08-22-2017, 01:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There are numerous extremely talented aqua botanist at AA. Unfortunately I'm not one of them. Over the years I've had good success growing low maintenence, low light plants like Java fern, Anubias, and Java moss. Fertilizer is a big part of aqua gardening but probably not as much as a powerful lighting system. Maybe your lights are insufficient. I'm sure some of the more knowlegable plant growers will respond with additional suggestions.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert2oo1 View Post
What lighting and substrate do you have? Rotala is generally a high light plant and isn't the easiest plant to grow. It's very sensitive I've found.

Also what size is your tank?

So I have the finnex 24/7 planted + SE light on my tank and the substrate I use is like a fine white sand. Maybe my substrate is incorrect :/
Old 08-22-2017, 07:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
So I have the finnex 24/7 planted + SE light on my tank and the substrate I use is like a fine white sand. Maybe my substrate is incorrect :/

Yea lighting would be abit low for rotala but the sword should be fine. Sand doesn't have any nutrients in it and swords are big root feeders so I'd get a couple of root tabs and push them under the substrate around the plant u can buy the ones by seachem or make them yourself with 00 sized gel capsules and Osmacote plus plant fertiliser.

How big is the tank?
Old 08-22-2017, 07:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Yea lighting would be abit low for rotala but the sword should be fine. Sand doesn't have any nutrients in it and swords are big root feeders so I'd get a couple of root tabs and push them under the substrate around the plant u can buy the ones by seachem or make them yourself with 00 sized gel capsules and Osmacote plus plant fertiliser.

How big is the tank?

Wow that is incredible advice thank you so much. Of course beginners luck research, research, research, is all I can before doing literally ANYTHING in this hobby. Of course I have the incorrect substrate lol, well I will be making a visit to Lfs tomorrow now. I have a 40 gallon bow front. Is that okay for the type of plants I have?
Old 08-22-2017, 09:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Wow that is incredible advice thank you so much. Of course beginners luck research, research, research, is all I can before doing literally ANYTHING in this hobby. Of course I have the incorrect substrate lol, well I will be making a visit to Lfs tomorrow now. I have a 40 gallon bow front. Is that okay for the type of plants I have?

Yea 40b's are a hard tank to light unfortunately. The finnex would put u in the low to medium light range so your best option would be plants like:
Anubias of all types
Java fern of all types
Bacopa
Hygrophila's
Mosses of all types
Crypts of all types
Dwarf sag (carpet plant)
Buce
Amazon swords
Just to name a few.

I'd definitely look into getting some root tabs for your sand as id say that's your main problem. Also I've found it hard to established thin stem plants in sand due to its density. But once they get abit bigger they seem to be fine

I'd continue with the ferts as they wouldn't be causing any problems
Old 08-22-2017, 09:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Yea 40b's are a hard tank to light unfortunately. The finnex would put u in the low to medium light range so your best option would be plants like:
Anubias of all types
Java fern of all types
Bacopa
Hygrophila's
Mosses of all types
Crypts of all types
Dwarf sag (carpet plant)
Buce
Amazon swords
Just to name a few.

I'd definitely look into getting some root tabs for your sand as id say that's your main problem. Also I've found it hard to established thin stem plants in sand due to its density. But once they get abit bigger they seem to be fine

Thank you so much, incredibly helpful!!! <3
Old 08-23-2017, 11:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Anubias of all types
Java fern of all types
Bacopa
Hygrophila's
Mosses of all types
Crypts of all types
Dwarf sag (carpet plant)
Buce
Amazon swords
Just to name a few.

I just wanted to say thanks personally I bought some awesome crypts, Anubis, and java fern today I'm so exited thanks again!
Old 08-24-2017, 12:12 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I just wanted to say thanks personally I bought some awesome crypts, Anubis, and java fern today I'm so exited thanks again!

No worrys at all be prepared the crypts will melt to begin with while they adjust to the new environment. Also put root tabs under them aswell

Tags
sea, seachem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com