Seachem Purigen - what do I put it in???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floyd R Turbo

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey there for all you planted tank enthusiasts I found out about this stuff on another forum (after asking the question several times here and getting no response) so I'm passing this very useful product info along! To all those who WANT do some kind of chemical filtration but don't want to suck up all the plant nutrients, Seachem. Purigen looks like your stuff!

Absorbs dissolved organics and has minimal impact of trace minerals, changes color when it's used up and best of all it's rechargeable.

The only problem is that this stuff is little tiny balls that are varying in size, but are generally tiny. I bought a 250 ml jar of the stuff and a medium size fine mesh bag at an LFS and when I poured it in, I could immediately tell it was not fine enough. I had to improvise and put it into fine cotton cloth tea bags until I can find something flow-through that works. FYI they did have it in pre-packaged flow thru bags, but I thought it was a better deal $ wise for the big jar.

Anyone out there know something that is fine enough to hold in something the size of grains of sand but porous enough to allow enough water flow?

I put it in some nylons/pantyhose. A few little balls came through while I was handling it, but never got in the tank from the filter. That bag would definitely work a bit better though. :) But, I didn't have time to order one.

Bags broke open in my canister.

Ok one big word of advice to anyone interested in using Seachem Purigen in their canister filter:

GET "THE BAG"

I did not get THE BAG at first. Instead I improvised and put it into cloth tea bags, because that's all I could find that was fine enough to keep it in. I bought THE BAG on eBay and decided to wait until I needed to clean the canister to change over. The other day I noticed a few of the beads spitting out of the outflow nozzle when I jiggled the canister. Oh dear G-- I thought to myself, one of the bags broke open.

I did my first canister cleaning today and to my horror all 5 of the cloth bags were completely disintegrated. Little :censor: sand-grain size beads everywhere. Thankfully, this stuff sinks so the majority of it was actually at the bottom of my canister, and after some rinsing and straining, I was able to salvage about 95% of it. I poured it into 'THE BAG' and that thing is awesome, nothing gets through it!

I would use NOTHING ELSE not even pantyhose. NOTHING. You don't want to go through what I did.

Back
Top Bottom