Seasoned firewood as driftwood.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wayno0520

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am setting up my 55gal planted tank. We all know that costs us some money. I cut down an oak tree a few years ago, and have had the wood in my yard drying. My question is, can I use it as driftwood, and if so what steps should I take before adding it to the tank. Thanks in advance.

Driftwood is usually specific species but if you sanitize it then seal it. It should be ok yeah

I've never heard of sealing wood for an aquarium.... Oak is fine in aquariums. You need to remove all the bark and the cambium layers, so that you don't have them polluting the aquarium when they rot (they contain nutrients, where the inner wood is just cellulose). Soak it in a bucket for a few days after removal, to help it leach out the tannins (harmless, but color your water brown). It might take a while for it to sink (days to years depending on the wood) Boiling it will help it sink faster and will sanitize it. Driftwood will grow fungus on it (it's white) the first couple of weeks in the aquarium, it is harmless and usually goes away on its own (plecos and snails LOVE to eat it too!). Hope this helps and good luck.

Sorry or seal it.... Not then seal it. I've never sealed drift wood myself but I know some people do. The Most important thing is sanitizing it ?

Venymae thanks. It is so seasoned that it sank right away in the pot to boil it. The main reason I'm doing it is for my rubber lipped pleco aka "hiding fish" as my 2 yr old daughter so named it. I just don't want to fight with the colored water for the next few months.

Yep, plecos need driftwood.(y) Also oak is so dense I'm not surprised at all that it sank. Woot for you! Floating driftwood is a pain.:nono:

If it does float then go to your local hardware store and get a piece of slate and drill a hole through the tile then put a stainless steel screw in it and put tile under substrate and that'll hold it down

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom