Secret of dwarf hairgrass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rusilja

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm a newb, I got my hairgrass (2 pots) for 1 month or so...
They just didn't set runners...
I planted them right from the pot (removed the pot ofcours)
Couple days later I split them up in groups.

The next 2-3 weeks, I only saw like 1 runner... 8-O I was like dude... xD (I have 2 desklamp bulbs), lot's of light!!!
I don't use any tablets or ferts in my tank, only 3-4 cm (that's like 1.5inch) of gravel (stones, not big though)

I read that people give it haircut's, cutting it in the middle, (at least the big one's!!)
30% of my hairgrass is brown 8-O8-O (still mystery why)
So Yesthrday I decided to give the long one's a hair cut...

Just a moment ago I saw atleast 5 new runners! 8-O8-O8-O

So , that's the secret :D

Anyways, if someone knows why a lot are brown... tell me :)

thank you!

It's likely that the plants were grown emersed and it took awhile for them to start growing as they were adapting to submersed growth in your tank. Most often this involves the die off of the emersed growth leaves which would explain why so many turned brown on you. Go ahead and remove the brown leaves so the plant can focus on new growth instead.

I'm guessing it is turning brown due to either:

Insufficient lighting - They require around 2WPG or more to really form a nice carpet.
Insufficient fertilizers/CO2 - May not be necessary but it would definitely help.

I'm guessing it is probably a combination of low light, no ferts, atmospheric/no co2 and water conditions. I would try removing as much by hand as possible. Also, do not try a blackout with the plant, they will often just die off and turn brown.

What type of lighting are you using? I know you said two desklamps, but how many watts each?

Edit: Good point Joy, I suppose that could be the case here too. I would think that after over a month or so of being submersed it should be adapted.

Last edited:
Thanks,
I have 2 bulb's as I mentioned.
One looks like this: (20 watt)
light%20bulb.jpg

and the other: (30 watt)

light-bulb-424.jpg

My desklamp supports 2 bulbs :) It's handy.
At the top of my lamp, around my bulbs, I put aluminium paper for reflection. Helps thoguh :)

---------------
I don't think there is a problem with lighting...
After 2-3 hours the plants, even the hairgrass makes a lot of Oxygen! Lot's of bubbles.
Maybe I jsut need more Co2...

I saw vid's on homemade CO2, yeast with sugar :D

I'm not sure if you are seeing pearling or not. What size tank is it? (side note, you should fill out your My Tanks info so others can check these commonly asked questions) The bubbles you are seeing could be from your filter and they just get stuck to the plant. My plants won't pearl until I have a good level of CO2 built up(15ppm+) and the lights have been on for an hour or longer.

DIY CO2 is possible in smaller tanks (hence my questions above) but can be less stable than pressurized. If you have a 20g or smaller you could probably get away with doing DIY if you are willing to keep making new batches to keep it going.

I'm not sure if you are seeing pearling or not. What size tank is it? (side note, you should fill out your My Tanks info so others can check these commonly asked questions) The bubbles you are seeing could be from your filter and they just get stuck to the plant. My plants won't pearl until I have a good level of CO2 built up(15ppm+) and the lights have been on for an hour or longer.

DIY CO2 is possible in smaller tanks (hence my questions above) but can be less stable than pressurized. If you have a 20g or smaller you could probably get away with doing DIY if you are willing to keep making new batches to keep it going.

Hehe, My tank pearls like heaven :D
I have a 5g (20 litre) ain't big ^^ [No pearling at the moment, when it pearls maybe I'll take a pic)
Here a pic(s):
dsc04106.jpg

dsc04104.jpg

dsc04102d.jpg

Incase you're wondering about my light :)
(Couple days ago, when I set m dubble bulbed lamp, I saw massive amount of algae coming :eek:, strange nerve-like algae at the back...never was there before, I removed it :) )
dsc04107c.jpg

I'm also planning to buy some big plants to the right back corner.
More fish (3-4 more I guese)
And a CO2 homemade yeast stuff XD

I would love to see a picture! It looks like the leaves on your wisteria are drooping a bit. Mine all point upward towards the light. Not sure if that is due to insufficient lighting intensity or lack of nutrients. I'll try to take some pictures of my wisteria tonight when they are pearling to show you.

Anyways, I would try trimming the hairgrass some more to encourage more lateral growth. Best of luck!

Edit: I found one picture of my frill plants pearling on my work computer. I'll have to find some of my wisteria later.

frill%20pearling.jpg

Last edited:
I would love to see a picture! It looks like the leaves on your wisteria are drooping a bit. Mine all point upward towards the light. Not sure if that is due to insufficient lighting intensity or lack of nutrients. I'll try to take some pictures of my wisteria tonight when they are pearling to show you.

Anyways, I would try trimming the hairgrass some more to encourage more lateral growth. Best of luck!
Great, thanks!!

I trimmed the big leaves at the bottom, some block the light for my grass.
It's kinda hard to plant the dwarf hairgrass from the beginning, to make a deep hole :p

But I think I'll put the big wisteria plants (2/3 of them) in a separate bowl/vase, Otherwise it looks like a messy jungle, and I want to add ore background plants.
5 gal isn't big... kinda hard keeping wisteria.

But thanks for all the info :D

I'de love to see your pics!

I have had dwarf hair grass for about a month as well and mine is spreading very quickly. I put some root tabs in and new runners appeared literally overnight. I haven't cut mine yet because I haven't decided yet whether or not I want the grass to be long or shorter. We shall see.

I have had dwarf hair grass for about a month as well and mine is spreading very quickly. I put some root tabs in and new runners appeared literally overnight. I haven't cut mine yet because I haven't decided yet whether or not I want the grass to be long or shorter. We shall see.
Same happend here :D but the result with just cutting.

Meegosh
That is beautiful!!! :eek::eek:

That's how my hairgrass is sometimes, but a little smaller in number of bubles.

My wisteria has a different style of pearling. It gives big bubbles over time, but realy big, from the root mostly :)
---------

I just gave it a full cleaning, 70% water change, took some of the upper/middle leaves, and cut my grass a little more.

And a new light thing I discovered. I flipped my light bulbs more to the right flank, giving the grass MORE light than before.

I'm still waiting for pearls, but I think it won't happen today. :*

Back
Top Bottom