Seedlings/baby plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aaron10020

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What do i need, and want for growing out baby plants that are slow growing.

What about substrate, do I need pots, should I want pots. The little ones are difficult to plant and keep in place slightest movment seems to disloge them

What about substrate, do I need pots, should I want pots. The little ones are difficult to plant and keep in place slightest movment seems to disloge them

You'll have to give me some more info on your setup:

Lighting (make/model/spectrum)
Height of tank
kH/gH/pH values (if you can test)
Substrate
Plant species in question
Fertilizer + Carbon sources / how much
Water change schedule
Fish species (could cause issues in keeping young plants planted / eating them)

I'm looking at starting a separate system from scratch dedicated to this purpose

I'm looking at starting a separate system from scratch dedicated to this purpose

Ah okay, if that's the case here is what I would do:
10 gal tank
Black Diamond Blasting Sand, 1.5-2"
Cheap 2 x incandescent bulb hood with 2x13w cool white CFL spiral bulbs swapped in.
Cheap internal or HOB filter, something to move some water around.
Cheap CO2 if you have access to it, if not excel is fine, dose per bottle instructions.
Make up a fertilizer solution like the one from aquariumfertilizer . com and dose per instructions.
DIY size 00 gel capsule and osmocote plus root tabs underneath sward/crypt style plants.

Maybe a couple shrimp once the tank is up and running for a while, no fish (if the purpose is to raise young plants)

plant young plants and watch them grow.

a 20 gal long would be better, with 1 x 24" T5-HO 6700K bulb, the rest the same.

Back
Top Bottom