Seeds good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenht

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Long story, short. I'm starting a 2.5 gallon shrimp tank. I have my substrate picked out, my sponge filter, my air pump, etc. I need plant advice.

I was thinking about seeding it to get that carpet look. Do most of those plants require co2? I have excel that I use in my other tanks and it works great. I just don't have the money for the bottle co2 at this time.

My next question is what plants are the best to seed without bottle co2? If any at all.

My last question is, what lighting is best for those nano type tanks? Can you use just a desk LED or is there a specific brand most prefer? I was thinking a small LED shouldn't price me out like my 48" one did :banghead:

I have also seen those tanks that come with the kits you see in Petsmart and Petco. They usually have a pretty decent price tag on them and I was hoping parting the whole thing out would save me some money.

Thanks guys!!

I have a moss carpet. Needs very little light. I bought marimo moss balls and opened them up and flattened. Tied to a very thin piece of slate. IMG_1385.jpg

I've tried moss in the past and I have made a huge mess

Misread that. I didn't realize you said Moss balls. That's a great idea actually. I have slate I used to use laying around and a LFS has it for $1 per lb so either way I'm not out a whole lot. How many do you have in that picture and what size tank is that? Trying to get a idea of perspective. Also, what did you tie them down with? I have some of that glue from Seachem to anchor down plants to driftwood coming in the mail soon. Wonder if that will hold?

I bought 4 good size ones and used green polyester thread to tie them. There are several pieces with gaps to allow water to the undergravel filter. That is a 9g Biube.

I do t think the gel super glue would hold it?

Gotcha. Thanks for the advice on that. So no experience with seeds or lights to use?

"Super glue" should work. You need to blot the moisture from the plant prior to applying it (make sure the rock is dry as well). However, it may dislodge over time. The plant material that is in contact with the glue may break off from the rest of the moss. But that may take some time.
I am suspicious about the various seeds sold for this purpose. Mixed results I've read about; temporary (several months) at best. Unless you see the plant it came from, you can't always guarantee what it is actually composed of.
I cannot think of any carpet plants that don't do well without CO2. I like the idea of a moss ball carpet.
You could try an inexpensive LED desk lamp. The twisted CFL bulbs (13W or 23W, 6700K) can be used as well. The LED fixtures tend to have a smaller chassis and visually may be more appealing.

Thanks fresh. I got the moss balls ordered and the glue should arrive same day.

That's what I read about the seeds. That's why I was asking about them. I found some glosso seeds but idk if they're legit

Back
Top Bottom