Seeking help finding algae eaters for an aggressive tiger barb only tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bazook

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 8 barbs in a 20g long and have been enjoying watching the hierarchy establish, along with the tank as well, but I've had trouble fighting off Brown diatoms/algae. I was wondering if there was a clean up crew that could survive the hunt, or if there was a simpler way to kill the growth.1491969910522.jpg1491969941301.jpg1491969949080.jpg

I would live to throw in some inverts, corys, or otos, but my only concern with a live clean up crew is if the barbs decide to eat, they may get sick or injured somehow.

I just lowered the current in the tank and I'm running a clamp light with a 65w grow bulb for my 8 hr shift at work... Then switching over to a 21 light led strip when I get home for 2 more hours. I have alternated from a yeast contraption to liquid co2 (which it's better?), and just replenished the substrate with some osmocote tablets.

SAE's my first choice. I can attest to they clean up duty. Am sure they would be fine with the barbs. But those with more experience with barbs I'm sure will chime in. But I know without a doubt how good the SAE's are. They even cleaned my one ornament that had brown algae all over it. It now looks brand new lol [emoji15]
IMG_4107.jpg

SAE's my first choice. I can attest to they clean up duty. Am sure they would be fine with the barbs. But those with more experience with barbs I'm sure will chime in. But I know without a doubt how good the SAE's are. They even cleaned my one ornament that had brown algae all over it. It now looks brand new lol [emoji15]
View attachment 297877
I think they might have an advantage of being able to outswim the barbs, as long as they don't jump out of the tank lol.

I think they might have an advantage of being able to outswim the barbs, as long as they don't jump out of the tank lol.

totally agree lol. I got 6 of them and seriously within 2 days the brown algae was gone.

I have had sae with tiger, black ruby, and Odessa barbs. There were no issues with the mix. You do want a tight cover, sae will fly

The guy at the lfs suggested a bristlenose. Sae also looks suitable.

I'm about to vacuum and drop in some dbh and baby tears... I thought it may provide cover for whatever crew I decide to get, although I may also clean it myself and add a few more barbs.

I would go with a bristlenose pleco. From my experience, the barbs are less likely to be bothered by a pleco than a oto. Mine does a great job keeping the algae down in my 29g planted tank.

My barbs don't bother my bristlenose. My Otto's would stroke out

I would suggest a placo over an oto. I have a tank of Barb's and they are pretty nippy. But they are mainly nippy within there own group. They leave the sharks and loachs along just fine. But I would worry about putting something in half the Barb's size. But that's just me.

I would suggest a placo over an oto. I have a tank of Barb's and they are pretty nippy. But they are mainly nippy within there own group. They leave the sharks and loachs along just fine. But I would worry about putting something in half the Barb's size. But that's just me.

Plecos don't "really" eat algae, well depends what kind.
When young they prefer it but when older (they still do) but not as much and prefer other things; hence why we feed them zucchini once in a while.

Sorry. Guess I should have said that I have an albino bushy noised placo and he does well in my smaller tank. By in my larger tank, I have a common placo that is fairly large. And ya, he doesn't do much. Lol. More of a wow factor for guest

Back
Top Bottom