Self Cleaning Fish Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Self-sustaining Tank

What if you didn't add fertilizer? Your adding the minerals in the water with the fertilizers every morning. Can you not do this and still have it work? If you need to add the water and fertilizer it isn't very self sustaining.

Hello Hob...

You don't have to add ferts to the tank. The fish load is enough to sustain the plants. If you simply feed the fish in the tank a balanced diet, they will provide everything the land plants need. I add ferts, because I still have low light, shade plants under the emersed plants. The land plants do have to trimmed of old leaves to promote new growth. I enjoy maintaining the plants as much as taking care of the fish.

What I didn't enjoy was changing out 125 gallons of water every week, before I introduced the land plants.

Technically, the tanks aren't self-sustaining, because they're open and the water is strongly aerated, so water does evaporate and must be replaced.

B

Is there a way to reduce evaporation? Maybe tighten it up a bit? I guess this would be hard since the water is strongly agitated.

I'm not sure evaporation would be that much of an issue. The more that evaporates the more fresh water it will get. It sounds like the consensus is that evaporation alone won't keep the water clean enough.

I was just thinking it would be more self sustaining that way...

We'll have to see. I'll cycle it before I add any critters and then test frequently to see how the parameters change over time

This is exciting! I'm might have to DIY something for my 110g...

I'm not sure evaporation would be that much of an issue. The more that evaporates the more fresh water it will get. It sounds like the consensus is that evaporation alone won't keep the water clean enough.

The problem is that if you keep doing that, you'll accumulate solutes in the tank, eventually causing a problem. That is, unless you top off with RODI like reefers do.

I certainly won't be using RODI water, I'll stick to regular water changes.

Low Maintenance FW Tank

Thought the type of tank should be low maintenance instead of self-sustaining, since there's a little manual labor necessary to keep such a tank running.

I've had two tanks running with little or no mechanical filtration since the first part of this past summer. There's been no change in the water chemistry. The only thing I've noticed is with the large, weekly water changes, the best I could do was a nitrate reading of between 20-30 ppm. Likely because of the heavy fish load. Within a week of emersing the land plants, the nitrates dropped to 10. I tested the tanks a week ago and got just a trace of nitrates.

It appears, the emersed roots are able to take in the nitrogens faster than the mechanical filters. So, there's really no reason to keep them running. The leaves that turn yellow from the toxins in the water, must be trimmed off. But, new growth is constant, so the old leaves are replaced.

I've had Chinese Evergreen as potted house plants and have never gotten the flowering I've noticed with the same plant with the root balls emersed in the aquarium.

The type of Chinese Evergreen is important. The variety "Cutlass" seems to work the best.

B

No Visible Algae

After feeding the fish in these "Terraphyte" tanks, I noticed another benefit of using land plants to take up the nitrogens in the water and keep it completely safe for the fish. There's no more visible algae in the tanks. The aquatic plants, driftwood, rocks and decorations are totally clean.

The reason must have something to do with the rate the roots take in the dissolved wastes in the water. Apparently, the roots work so quickly, there are no extra nutrients in the water to feed the algae.

I'm really starting to appreciate the pure water conditions the plants provide without the need for large, frequent water changes or mechanical filtration.

B

Low Maintenance FW Tank

Hello again...

Am on a roll here, so thought I'd forward some pics of this 45 G. No mechanical filtration. Just the emersed Aglaonema land plants in place of the conventional filter.

Water chemistry balanced. No traces of ammonia or nitrites and just a trace of nitrates at roughly 5 ppm.

Have included pics of the plants. The varieties are Cutlass and Gemini. Also, the plant root balls are strongly aerated, but the high O2 environment hasn't hurt the Amazon swords, Anubias, Anacharis or Pennywort. Lastly, a pic of the back of the tank to confirm there is no mechanical filtration.

I maintain the plants by weekly trimming and using a spray bottle to mist them each morning since they are tropical.

The tank has roughly 75-80 Fancy Guppies that range in age from last week's fry to the old timers about 12-18 months old. Also have two, 3 inch Corys. These two have been in the tank since I set it up about 4 and a half years ago. Don't recall the species.

That's it. I won't bore you all any further.

B

Attachments

• PC190414.jpg
    PC190414.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 114
  • PC190415.jpg
    PC190415.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 103
  • PC190416.jpg
    PC190416.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 136
^That's very impressive but a bit cloudy for my tastes. I used to use water cabbage to get a similar beneficial effect in my 55s but still used HOB filters to clarify the water. Nice pics.

That's it. I won't bore you all any further.

B

Get outa town! You've provided some very useful information. This little betta tank isn't QUITE as cool as what you have setup but your experience has been very motivating. I think I saw a post you made in another thread about your self cleaning tank ... had to be you ... and that was definitely a big factor in my impulse purchase.

While i agree about the cloudy water (though it looks very natural) I won't have the option of a filter in this setup so I'll have to monitor everything and do water changes. I like the guppies, you think they would be at home in a 3 gallon? I'd really like some options other than a betta and a couple of snails. I'm falling in love with my cherry shrimp in my other planted tank and would like to incorporate some shrimp here if possible too.

Guppies in a 3 Gallon Tank

Hello d_flo...

Guppies are naturally very active and do best in heavily stocked tanks of their own kind. Aside from a few Corydoras with them, I don't recommend small tanks or putting them in a "community" tank. Every fish out there will make a target of the male Guppy's elaborate tail.

I've had the best luck keeping these fish in somewhat larger tanks and keeping a lot of them together and in heavily planted tanks with a lot of floating plants.
Your 3 G is really too small, unless you plan on keeping just two or three males.

In my humble opinion, keeping fish in tiny tanks is like keeping your dog or cat in the bathroom.

B

BBradbury said:
In my humble opinion, keeping fish in tiny tanks is like keeping your dog or cat in the bathroom.

B
And then I look outside and see a Newfoundlander walking out of an appartment building with someone. Poor dog... He should be on my farm playing with the sheepies!

Hello d_flo...

Guppies are naturally very active and do best in heavily stocked tanks of their own kind... Every fish out there will make a target of the male Guppy's elaborate tail.

B

Thanks again for another enlightening reply! Great info as always. I think I'm going to go with the original advice and get a betta and a couple of snails for this one.

Back
Top Bottom