Semi-planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryanplaya

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking to start a semi-planted tank. I have attached an image for you to see kinda roughly what I will be looking to do, and I am looking to do it in a 10 gallon tank. Keeping that in mind, I'd like to get everyone's opinion on what substrate to use and how much I should get. I read "pros/cons" of some planting substrates and found one that I think might work well for me:

"Aquasoil-
Pros-Includes Key Plant Nutrients, Uniform Size, Holds Slopes Well Compared To Other Substrates, Durability as it looks great for years, Lowers PH And Water hardness
Cons-Cost, Leaches ammonia into the water for a couple of weeks or so, and needs big water changes, often, to get rid of the ammonia initially., Can be messy while rescaping"

Do you think Aquasoil would work well for my idea? If not, why not.

Then, how much should I get? It comes in 4.4lb and 11lb bags on Amazon. Will 4.4lbs be enough for a 10 gallon tank that loosely follows the picture?

Appreciate the help.

Attachments

• planted.jpg
    planted.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 55
The scape you suggested looks consists mostly of mosses I think. They feed through the water column and will not root in the soil. I think even the front of the scape are just mosses tied to rocks (you just don't see the rocks anymore). Sand wod do just the same trick, so I wouldn't invest money in an expensive substrate as aquasoil.

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Or maybe they are carpetting plants. Anyway this tank looks high-tech to me. With that I mean that co2 is involved.

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Back
Top Bottom