Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2003, 10:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to cdawson
Serious Problem!!!

I've got algae bloom BAD, I need help getting rid of it, I'm supplementing my plants now with kent freshwater and plant supplements, as well as tropica master grow. My tank is a 45g with 7 neons, 5 blue tetras, 5 red eye tetras, 5 rasboras, 1 farlowella, 1 SA puffer, 8 corys, 1 pleco that's soon to be removed. I've got anubias (on driftwood), java moss, amazon swords, 1 pygmy sword, a long thin plant that looks kind of like hornwort and grows like mad, actual hornwort, hygros, a modified java fern(can't remember real name), and two other plants I don't know much about. One is tall and red and the other is short and kind of looks like a smaller anubias. Water parameters are ph 6.5-7.0 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, 0 ammonia
and a hagen CO2 generator (I know it's not enough to feed all these plants and I'm going to get another one). I've also got 120watts on the tank with a flourite substrate. I turn my bubbler on at night and feed once a day. So far no one has been able to help me so I'm including all my info in one message so that someone can narrow it down to what's causing the problem.

Old 06-28-2003, 10:24 PM   #2
yv1
Aquarium Advice Activist

stop the plant supplements for now! it may be feeding the algae in addition to our plants. cut down the length of time your lights are on also. you can also try Algaefix of Algone, NOT Algae Destroyer since it harms live plants. do you know what kind of algae it is? different algae have different solutions...

you should check the algae info page in the forum and try to narrow it down...let us know what happens!

Old 06-28-2003, 10:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

but how can I fix this problem all together so that I can add supplements. I thought that algae only used nitrate and phosphate whereas none of my supplements have those in them. also how long will this take to go away. I don't know what kind of algae it is, it's green and it's making my water really cloudy.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:07 AM   #4
yv1
Aquarium Advice Activist

green water? try reading this thread, someone had the same problem. its some sort of floating algae. i dont think its harmful to your fish but it is unsightly.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...ighlight=algae
Old 06-30-2003, 01:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I got rid of it through using plant supplements that didn't have nitrates or phosphates. I put it all in yesterday and woke today to find almost no algae compared to yesterday. I could barely see the back of the tank and now I can almost see right through it.

Tags
rio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com