Set up help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrKichanPark

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I been considering dwarf hairgrass or dwarf baby tears for my carpeting plant for my 5 gallon aquarium. The tank will have 1 betta in it. I was wondering, which is a better option for me? I heard using flourish excel will help the plant grow much better since i have no way of getting CO2. I will be using eco complete for my substrate.

How much inches of the substrate would I need?
Any tips on how to grow a thick carpet?
Dwarf hairgrass or dward baby tears?

I have a 8.5 fully planted tank. Between the 2 go with baby tears. They are easier to care for in my opinion. Either way you will need co2 to grow them faster however, I would invest the most in the lighting system for them. Supplements can only help so much. If you are going to use excel I would also throw in flourish. Here is my tank's progress IMG_1027.jpg View attachment 1IMG_1171.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1158.jpg
    IMG_1158.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 102
How long have you had the tank for? how long you think, under decent lighting and CO2, baby tears will carpet?

My tank is about 2-3 years old now. I have seen dwarf hair grass carpet with no co2 for about 3 months. Dwarf baby tears will grow a little faster. The was about 2100 lumens. The tank had 2 lights and tropica soil. I used fluval stratum soil.

If you want a good light go with fluval pro light. That's what I am using or current pro or current plus. This my other tank with current plus IMG_1157.jpg

really nice tanks! I keep hearing baby tears are hard to plant because they float(?), did you just stick them into your substrate? or anchor them with a rock

In this system it's regular gravel. I just planted them with my fingers. They are easy to uprooted depending on the substrate. If you want to carpet the plant. Plants first then fish. In my bigger tank I'm carpeting dwarf sag it's very easy to carpet.

have you used any chemicals like flourish excel etc? I'm considering using excel for the CO2 boost and i was wondering if i can put excel in while the fish is still in the tank

I used to do that. I just finished using my co2 unit. Excel services as a double shot. You dose excel directly on Algae it will die. Follow the dosing to the letter.

Back
Top Bottom