Set up help for a 3 bulb two switch fixture with timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barterking85

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I am new to high light I am gonna run pressurized co2 and ordered a 3 bulb t5 fixture 54 watt bulbs 2x6500k and 1x10000k it has two switches one for 2 bulbs and one for one bulb I want to set them up on a timer soooooooooo I want to know is which two bulbs to put on the double switch and what bulb to put on the single and second how long should I run each I need on off times for both

Really hope you guys understand all of this thanks in advance

This is for your 80 gal, right? If you are going to run pressurized Co2, I don't see why you couldn't run all three bulbs. 8-10 hrs is typically enough run time. (I know some of my plants -like my rotala- with start close up after about 10 hrs regardless of how long the light is on.)

Coleallensmom said:
This is for your 80 gal, right? If you are going to run pressurized Co2, I don't see why you couldn't run all three bulbs. 8-10 hrs is typically enough run time. (I know some of my plants -like my rotala- with start close up after about 10 hrs regardless of how long the light is on.)

Awesome yes 80 gallon so how would I break that up? Don't go 8-10 strait right? So I can set my timer I would like to do 5 on 5 off 5 on 9 off would that work?

And another question am I going overboard with a three bulb fixture could I get away with 2 t5 I am not planting the heck out of it I just have about 12 plants spaced apart

Right now I have 2 t8 thats probably not good for medium light plants even with 18000k and 6000k right?

Awesome yes 80 gallon so how would I break that up? Don't go 8-10 strait right? So I can set my timer I would like to do 5 on 5 off 5 on 9 off would that work?

If you are going to run pressurized Co2, there should be no issue running the lights 8-10 hrs straight.

And another question am I going overboard with a three bulb fixture could I get away with 2 t5 I am not planting the heck out of it I just have about 12 plants spaced apart

Right now I have 2 t8 thats probably not good for medium light plants even with 18000k and 6000k right?

You said the T8 is 2x 40w? I'm not an expert on big tanks, but I'd think that would be pushing it to support medium light plants. At any rate, I would really reccommend having bulbs with in the 6,500K-10,000K range.

Yeah I am ordering a 4 bulb t5 anyway but I may only run two when I get it to see how it goes i know the t8s are pushing it but it's all I got right now and I will probably run them 8-10 hours strait

Yeah they let me change my order this one had led moon lights which looks amazing then if sometime down the road I go salt I am ready to rock for lights I just think this fixture will do whatever I want it to do

Coleallensmom said:
Nice! That should give you a decent amount of life if you replace the actnics.

O yeah the actinics are gone I got 12 bulbs on my local classifieds for 60$ 6x 6500k and 6x 10000k still in the boxes there was a fish store in my area going out of business

Back
Top Bottom