Setting up 10 gallon planted betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't put shrimp with bettas. Mine ate over 50 shrimp bye bye over $80... Have you thought about doing a betta sorority? They are fun! Lots of unique fish ad different colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

uploadfromtaptalk1441927688940.jpg

So here it is!

I went with DHG I separated a pot and planted it hopefully it takes. Anubis on the drift wood. Anacharis in the back and an area that will hopefully stay open. The substrate is eco complete. It's all under two 14w 6500k cfls. The bottles in back are for co2.

I already bought a Betts that is in another tank atm he will be going in as soon as I'm sure the tank is cycled.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

Don't put shrimp with bettas. Mine ate over 50 shrimp bye bye over $80... Have you thought about doing a betta sorority? They are fun! Lots of unique fish ad different colors.

I have to disagree with this for a 10g tank. There just isn't room enough for hiding places for the minimum recommendation of 5 female bettas. I have had females so aggressive that one busted through a cheap divider just to attack the other female. You would really need to get them all at once from a breeder and make sure they are all sisters and were raised together since birth for best results.

Have you considered a small group of celestial pearl danios along with either the corydoras Pygmaeus or corysdoras habrosus? There are many beautiful nano fish that would love a 10g and with the smaller fish you could get a bigger group.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have to disagree with this for a 10g tank. There just isn't room enough for hiding places for the minimum recommendation of 5 female bettas. I have had females so aggressive that one busted through a cheap divider just to attack the other female. You would really need to get them all at once from a breeder and make sure they are all sisters and were raised together since birth for best results.

Have you considered a small group of celestial pearl danios along with either the corydoras Pygmaeus or corysdoras habrosus? There are many beautiful nano fish that would love a 10g and with the smaller fish you could get a bigger group.

I did a sorority for over 6 months. I had 5 girls with no issues at all. Plenty of room and spaces to hide. Tons of people do that too. You really don't need to get them at the same time and have them be siblings. They'll work it out. There may be a few nipped fins, but it almost always works. None of mine were siblings and it always worked just fine. You just need to float new girls in a cup so the others can see them and release the new one and keep an eye on theme

It still hasn't fully cycled, probably because I've been running the pH low with co2 injection for the plants while they establish.

I just trimmed it this is the result
uploadfromtaptalk1443450409324.jpg

Also something is growing on my dhg is the back corner, not sure if it's algae or some other aquatic plant.
uploadfromtaptalk1443450480510.jpg

The dhg is growing well I took over an inch off most of my plugs.

I plan on getting 10 pygmy corydoras and then adding the betta. If he doesn't get along with them then he seems very happy in the sump I have so he may just stay there

I did a sorority for over 6 months. I had 5 girls with no issues at all. Plenty of room and spaces to hide. Tons of people do that too. You really don't need to get them at the same time and have them be siblings. They'll work it out. There may be a few nipped fins, but it almost always works. None of mine were siblings and it always worked just fine. You just need to float new girls in a cup so the others can see them and release the new one and keep an eye on theme

It may have worked for you and the OP can certainly do whatever they like but having had bettas for many years I just wouldn't recommend and I did use the word recommend anything smaller than a 20g long. Moot point anyway as it sounds like the OP already had a male and has decided to go with other options.

I have to agree with Brennae.. 5 bettas in a 10g would look cramped to me even if heavily planted. Of course my opinion is I don't like Betta sororities altogether :) as an avid Instagram user, I see almost daily "this girl has fin rot, this girl tore up this girl, this girl is bullying all the others" completely IMO I find them am to be a stressful environment that is waiting for disease to strike either from bullying or ripped up fins. That's just my opinion and I deal with those people helping them almost daily.

It still hasn't fully cycled, probably because I've been running the pH low with co2 injection for the plants while they establish.

View attachment 278598

Also something is growing on my dhg is the back corner, not sure if it's algae or some other aquatic plant.
View attachment 278599

I plan on getting 10 pygmy corydoras and then adding the betta. If he doesn't get along with them then he seems very happy in the sump I have so he may just stay there

Sweet driftwood! Really digging it!

Caleb

I only skimmed this thread so forgive me for any mistakes.

Sweet looking driftwood. I hope that DHG takes for you. I've always heard it doesn't spread in low light but I wish you the best.

Crypts are an awesome group of plants for low light. My Undulata grew very well, and it would look nice as a specimen plant in a tank like this.

Ditto on the sorority, I can't imagine that it will work for everyone just because it works for some people.

I assume you already have a filter running but if you aren't happy with it then the Marina slim 10/15/20 comes with a great mesh guard over the intake. It's really cheap too. I'm installing mine today.

I only skimmed this thread so forgive me for any mistakes.

Sweet looking driftwood. I hope that DHG takes for you. I've always heard it doesn't spread in low light but I wish you the best.

Crypts are an awesome group of plants for low light. My Undulata grew very well, and it would look nice as a specimen plant in a tank like this.

Ditto on the sorority, I can't imagine that it will work for everyone just because it works for some people.

I assume you already have a filter running but if you aren't happy with it then the Marina slim 10/15/20 comes with a great mesh guard over the intake. It's really cheap too. I'm installing mine today.

I agree on the crypts! I've had lots of different ones, they are wonderful plants and easy to please.

Caleb

Tank looks really nice!

I kept a betta with green rasboras and pygmy cories. He completely ignored the rasboras but was relentless with the cories. Hope it works out for you, looking forward to more pics (y)

So I discovered that I had snails today. They are very tiny and even crawl on the bottom of the surface of the water!!!

So I discovered that I had snails today. They are very tiny and even crawl on the bottom of the surface of the water!!!

Sameeee... Also just set up a 10 gallon and I'm finding and killing tons of little pesky pond snails :|

Ah help! I think my tank is leaking. I have the tank sitting on a table with a table cloth under it. Just noticed today that it's soaked and it's been almost a week since I've done anything with it so I know I didn't spill anything. It's also worth noting that I keep my mail and the same table and noticed that it was starting to get wet so I think this happened recently.

What should I do! I don't want to have to rip it all apart
Btw it was bought at pet co during their sale

Try to locate the leak. Either way this tank will likely have to come apart to fix it or return it for a new one.

Caleb

Blah okay.
So I removed the cloth, dried everything, filled the tank up to the framing and now I'm waiting to see if the water level drops and if it does hopefully without the cloth there I can get a better idea where it's leaking from.

I'm really hoping that I just spilled something and forgot about it

Appears the filter is leaking! Stupid cheap Wal-Mart filter oh well. That's a much easier fix

So I did some trimming on my tank today and noticed this plant wasn't something growing on the dhg like I thought rather another plant that was actually growing into the substrate on its own.

uploadfromtaptalk1444936831703.jpguploadfromtaptalk1444936849915.jpg

Anyone know what it is? The best way I can think to describe it is like a really small anacharis but small and much more fine leaves

Also the DHG appears to be growing well, some of it was long but I also have a decent amount of runners

So I did some trimming on my tank today and noticed this plant wasn't something growing on the dhg like I thought rather another plant that was actually growing into the substrate on its own.

Anyone know what it is?

Also the DHG appears to be growing well, some of it was long but I also have a decent amount of runners

Looks like some sort of moss to me but I am definitely not a plant expert :hide:

Back
Top Bottom