Setting up a 10 gal planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know of a few small business fish stores I can check when I get a chance to swing by.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yep, a bit too far. I used to live in Mt. Vernon which is 300 miles south of here and it was the same story as you, no lfs, just Petsmart or Petco.

Yep it makes it very hard to find fish for my tanks

Oh really I wasnt sure if it was or not good to know :D

What's your max budget on lighting? That hood wouldn't work with high light. It's not just a matter of switching a bulb.

$50 is all I have to spare right now... what if I stuck with that hood and low light plants while I saved up for a new lighting?

Could I put 5 tetras, a Bolivian ram (or honey gourami) and some type of bottom feeder like Cory's, ottos, or siamese algae eaters?

Could I put 5 tetras, a Bolivian ram (or honey gourami) and some type of bottom feeder like Cory's, ottos, or siamese algae eaters?

Um no offence but I'm not sure where this came from or who you're asking we are talking about planted tanks?

$50 is all I have to spare right now... what if I stuck with that hood and low light plants while I saved up for a new lighting?

If you can save just $20 more dollars, the Finnex Planted+ LED is so worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-FugeRa...=1401589427&sr=8-2&keywords=20+finnex+fugeray

Otherwise, I think you can try a Beamswork Green Element from Aquatraders.com or something. Although, I've never tried a beamswork.

But yeah, if you stick with your current hood and light, you'd get away with the lowest light tolerant plants like java fern, crypts, anubias, and moss.

Last edited:
If you can save just $20 more dollars, the Finnex Planted+ LED is so worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-FugeRa...=1401589427&sr=8-2&keywords=20+finnex+fugeray

Otherwise, I think you can try a Beamswork Green Element from Aquatraders.com or something.

But yeah, if you stick with your current hood and light, you'd get away with the lowest light tolerant plants like java fern, crypts, anubias, and moss.

Ill take a look at the finnex thanks for all your help :)

For CO2 in my ten gallon tank I was planning on making a DIY CO2 system but i was wondering if a CO2 supplement would be enough CO2 to replace the DIY system. I have very limited space so I like to save as much as I can.

Also stocking my 10 gallon it will be heavily planted with lots of ground cover and top cover. I've heard that you can and that you cant put guppies and/or mollies with a male betta opinions? Im planning on breeding and like I said space is limited. And dont worry about not having room for all the fry my LFS will buy them off me for cash and I do have a 45 gallon 20 gallon long and 3 10s available to keep fry and if I run into issues I will have females and males seperate so I will just not pregnante my females again until I do have room.

For CO2 in my ten gallon tank I was planning on making a DIY CO2 system but i was wondering if a CO2 supplement would be enough CO2 to replace the DIY system. I have very limited space so I like to save as much as I can.

Also stocking my 10 gallon it will be heavily planted with lots of ground cover and top cover. I've heard that you can and that you cant put guppies and/or mollies with a male betta opinions? Im planning on breeding and like I said space is limited. And dont worry about not having room for all the fry my LFS will buy them off me for cash and I do have a 45 gallon 20 gallon long and 3 10s available to keep fry and if I run into issues I will have females and males seperate so I will just not pregnante my females again until I do have room.

I don't know much about co2, but I know a lot of people use seachem excel as a substitute. Believe it requires daily dosing...?

As for a betta and guppies, not a good idea. Mollies... Maybe? It's all on the temperament of the betta. I've had bettas that would attack anything and I've also had some that worked in a community tank. Guppies look too much like a betta and would cause problems IMO.

I don't know much about co2, but I know a lot of people use seachem excel as a substitute. Believe it requires daily dosing...?

As for a betta and guppies, not a good idea. Mollies... Maybe? It's all on the temperament of the betta. I've had bettas that would attack anything and I've also had some that worked in a community tank. Guppies look too much like a betta and would cause problems IMO.

Yes my substitute requires daily dosing also.

Ok thanks I was thinking maybe female guppies but good to know. I have heard of people putting a glass jar over their betta in the tank and letting the other fish loose in the actual tank to see if the betta will show signs of aggression. Do you think that would stress out my betta to much? I don't want to harm any of my fish.

Yes my substitute requires daily dosing also.

Ok thanks I was thinking maybe female guppies but good to know. I have heard of people putting a glass jar over their betta in the tank and letting the other fish loose in the actual tank to see if the betta will show signs of aggression. Do you think that would stress out my betta to much? I don't want to harm any of my fish.

You can try it although it might not happen right away. Be sure to have another tank ready for the betta or guppies if it doesn't work out. Personally I just wouldn't.

I thought I was starting a new topic sorry about the confusion my mistake

Back
Top Bottom