Setting up a 29g planted community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJ_117

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all, this is my first time posting to the forums (but not my first aquarium), so I'm not completely sure if this is the right place to post this thread, but its a start for me.

I wanted to get some opinions on this setup if anyone would be interested in helping, on my 29g planted community. The tank is completely cycled and ready to go. I am using 1/4 white sand and 3/4 black FloraMax gravel for the substrate, and have already added some java ferns, anubais, amazon sword and staurogyne repens, along with mopani wood. The lighting I will be using is the Marineland LED hood (with both daylight LEDs and Lunar lights), and my current filter is the Aquaclear 30 but I intend on upgrading to the 50. No CO2 as of now, and I understand it is vital to a planted tank, but a lot of systems I see - even small ones - are fairly pricey, but hopefully I will be able to get one in the near future.

For the stocking:

Currently I have a dwarf gourami and BN pleco in there. I wanted to know if these fish could be added too;

6-8 Cardinal or BP Tetras
1 Bamboo shrimp
5-6 Pygmy Corydoras
1-2 snails
4-6 endlers OR 2-3 Platies

I would love to have inverts in addition to fish, so would that setup work?

Now, for the plants:

I understand most LEDs are not the greatest thing to grow plants, so I will mainly stick to plants that need medium to low light. For the midground I am mainly using java fern and some other low-moderate light plants, but I am stuck on what to use for the rest and for background. I want to completely cover the back of the aquarium so you can't see the airline tubing/black background, so what would be a good plant to do this? I was thinking contortion val or anacharis, but I don't know how well those would work.

What are your opinions? Sorry for the long winded post, and thank you for your help!

Hello all, this is my first time posting to the forums (but not my first aquarium), so I'm not completely sure if this is the right place to post this thread, but its a start for me.

I wanted to get some opinions on this setup if anyone would be interested in helping, on my 29g planted community. The tank is completely cycled and ready to go. I am using 1/4 white sand and 3/4 black FloraMax gravel for the substrate, and have already added some java ferns, anubais, amazon sword and staurogyne repens, along with mopani wood. The lighting I will be using is the Marineland LED hood (with both daylight LEDs and Lunar lights), and my current filter is the Aquaclear 30 but I intend on upgrading to the 50. No CO2 as of now, and I understand it is vital to a planted tank, but a lot of systems I see - even small ones - are fairly pricey, but hopefully I will be able to get one in the near future.

For the stocking:

Currently I have a dwarf gourami and BN pleco in there. I wanted to know if these fish could be added too;

6-8 Cardinal or BP Tetras

1 Bamboo shrimp

5-6 Pygmy Corydoras

1-2 snails

4-6 endlers OR 2-3 Platies

I would love to have inverts in addition to fish, so would that setup work?

Now, for the plants:

I understand most LEDs are not the greatest thing to grow plants, so I will mainly stick to plants that need medium to low light. For the midground I am mainly using java fern and some other low-moderate light plants, but I am stuck on what to use for the rest and for background. I want to completely cover the back of the aquarium so you can't see the airline tubing/black background, so what would be a good plant to do this? I was thinking contortion val or anacharis, but I don't know how well those would work.

What are your opinions? Sorry for the long winded post, and thank you for your help!

Welcome. Just a few things.
Co2 is not vital to a planted tank if it is low tech. All of your plants are low light easy except Repens.

Www.aqadvisor.com is a great website for stocking.

If you want shrimp make sure you give them plenty of hiding places.

I love my mystery snails. Try are great funny inverts that are compatible to most community tanks.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yeah I would definitely consider it to be low tech; an extravagant lighting system is way out of my budget anyways, and yes I love mystery snails, I have one in my 10g. Thank you for your help

Back
Top Bottom