Setting up a new planted tank for dwarf puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Wolfman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey I was wondering, I bought a 28 gallon bow-front aquarium today and purchased a Flora-Glo 15w light to go with it. Is that plenty of light for the plants to flourish in?

Thats not very good lighting, it's very low. Also there are very few plants that can survive in brackish tanks, also puffers eat plants. I would stay away from live plants and just use the really good looking fake ones.

what would you recommend for a good light? I read that dwarf puffers are purely freshwater unlike figure 8s and green spotted puffers

Ok, I did make the mistake, they are completely freshwater sorry. Hahahaha.

Anyways. You most likely want a low-tech setup since that's always easiest. You will want to aim for around 50W of lighting. That's between low and medium. You can grow quite a bit in a low light aquarium, just slow.

Here is a list of plants you can grow under low light
PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

haha its all good and thanks for the info...i checked out that link, im glad theres quite a few options to choose from i was defiantly going to get some java fern and some java moss so im glad to see those require low light lol

ok so since im going to need around 40w-50w of light what kind of bulb would you recommend? because the light fixture can only hold one bulb and the bulb has to be 18 inches

You may need a different fixture unfortunately, I don't know if you can find a 50w bulb that a 15w fixture could take (power and ballast wise).

thanks! I just talked with a guy at my lfs and he was really informative, hes going to order me in a really good light fixture

Back
Top Bottom