Setting up a pressurized CO2 system - got lots of questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One thing to consider in the future is renting a tank as opposed to buying one. That way you don't have to pay for either the tank or any inspections and you just swap it out every time it empties.

Wow, AquaDrew's DIY reactor is pretty cool looking.

I was definitely thinking more along the lines of the Rex Griggs one. Tim do you have any pictures of the way yours is hooked up?

The pic of the vortex reactor I linked to before wasn't mine - here is a pic of the one I built. It is visible in the tank but it doesn't bother me. The only DIY part was making the inlet to the bottle out of tubing and epoxy putty and drilling the hole for the CO2 line. Otherwise it is a regular powerhead and filter.

DSCF6851.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_MB1-1IUNGqU/SmfB1bolX1I/AAAAAAAAHHw/4I4mZsvdmG4/s800/DSCF6851.JPG

It is on the left of the tank:
DSCF6821.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_MB1-1IUNGqU/SmfECOTYNvI/AAAAAAAAHH0/7IsDe4Asoq0/s800/DSCF6821.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for posting those pictures AquaDrew. Your tank is beautiful BTW.

So, let me see if I understand how the vortex works. The powerhead pumps water in near the top of the inverted bottle. The CO2 also enters at the top of the bottle. The water from the powerhead creates a vortex that dissolves the CO2 and then it all comes out the bottom of the bottle. Is that correct?

Thanks, Spilzer.
Yes, that is how the vortex works. One issue I am working on is that the flow of the pump changes and that can make the vortex too mild or too steep (the vortex gets very narrow and runs out the bottom of the bottle). The flow changes on the pump as the filter gets clogged. I have a restrictor plate in the filter to try and even it out.
Another thing I may try is to make the CO2 line feed back into the filter intake. I would have the C02 input line split, one half going to the bottle as it is now and the other half going to the powerhead intake. I hope this will make the vortex more bubbly and get more water/co2 contact.

Sounds like a good plan, Drew.

The drop-checker I ordered came in yesterday, yippee! Next step, making 4 dkh solution to go in it.

Slowly, but surely, this is coming together.

Sorry that I've been quiet for a while. Not much is happening on the CO2 front because I haven't had time to get anything done. I'm going out of town next week and have been getting ready for that.

Things I'm waiting to work on:

Filling up the CO2 cylinder
- the place I want to go to is only open 8am-4pm so I can't go unless I get some time off work. Not sure when that will happen. Phooey.

Setting up the drop checker
- I want to try to mix up my own 4 dkh solution but it might be easier just to order it online. Thoughts?

DIY reactor
- I've been to several hardware stores now looking for the parts I need to build one of these but I haven't had much luck. Any idea if something like this would work with pressurized? I like the idea of an external reactor to keep it out of the tank.

you cant find the parts to build it? i built mine in lowes. then i bought the primer and glue and glued it together at home. i did it again at home depot too.

I think the reason I can't find the parts is that I live in Manhattan and the HD here doesn't carry "real" hardware. My local place didn't have 2" PVC. I haven't given up hope yet, because there are a million different hardware stores here, so one of them MUST have what I'm looking for.

Back
Top Bottom