Setting up a pressurized CO2 system - got lots of questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spilzer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone,

So, I finally decided to bite the bullet and setup a pressurized CO2 system for my 29 gallon planted tank. I've been researching it for over a year now so I'm pretty sure I understand the theory behind it, but I'm worried about making mistakes when it comes to reality.

Here's what I think I want/need:

5 lb cylinder
reactor/diffuser
brass check valve
timer
drop checker (maybe, I know this isn't necessary, but it sounds like a nice accesory to have)

Here's what I already have:
Milwaukee MA957 CO2 regulator (complete with solenoid, needle valve and bubble counter)
some CO2 hosing that came with the regulator

My questions:

1.) I have a few leads on obtaining a cylinder but I am wondering about safe practices for transporting a filled tank on public transportation. I live in NYC and don't own a car so I would most likely be bringing my filled cylinder back from the shop on the subway. Do you think this would be a problem? I've read some horror stories about cylinder saftey valves going bad and exploding tanks which makes me nervous about carrying a potentially dangerous item on the subways. What do you think, is it safe to travel on the subway with a filled CO2 tank?

2.) It also looks like I could order a 5 lb cylinder online at aquariumplants.com for $49.99. They will also ship you a filled cylinder for $89.99. I know that's a lot to pay (it's due to the extra work of shipping hazerdous goods) but I was thinking it might be nice to have a pre-filled tank arrive on my doorstep. What do you all think, is this a good idea, or should I try harder to work out something locally?

3.) I have a canister filter and I've heard I can use that as my reactor. I'm worried though that the CO2 might 'cause a airlock effect where there was a dry spot in the filter that could damage the pump. Or that it might break the siphon in the tubing. Has this ever happened to anyone? If I do want to use the cansiter as my reactor do I just splice a the CO2 tubing into the fiters tubes or should I place it in the tank so that the bubbles get sucked up into the filter intake?

Thanks in advance for your advice. I'm hoping to get started on this project next week when I'm on vacation. I'll post pictures as I get the pieces set up.

As to transportation in NYC subways you may have some problems there because someone may think it is a bomb or something. Typically you should try and do any kind of transportation while the tank is empty, but that would be difficult unless you have a place to fill that is right next to your house. You may want to contact a fire extinquisher place (or talk to a LFS and ask them where they fill) and find out how they transport. You may want to bite the bullet and spend for a cab trip instead of the subway.

Some canisters have a cap that screws on or off. I doubt you'll get one with a 5g but you never know. That would help a lot. Even if you drop it I don't think it will explode or anything, you have to hit it pretty hard and just the right angle for it to become a missle. Again I would more worry about the security people in the subway.

For mine I have a pump in my tank and put the output of the CO2 into the exit of the pump. This pump pushes the bubbles out into the tank and chops them up a bit. So far I've got pretty good results.

I don't have a drop checker myself but plan on getting one as it is much easier to look at a drop checker than checking the PH, hardness and such to figure out the PPM.

Good luck!

I use a powerhead to diffuse my co2. It is a pretty effective method I think. I too would be worried about injecting the co2 into the canister filter.

I don't have experience with subways, but I think Smitty's idea of a cab for those trips is good. It would be worth the money IMO. You shouldn't have to refill that often...unless you develop a leak, so it would be maybe an every 6 months deal, or longer.

I have a drop checker and I think that is a great investment. Definitely something I recommend. :)

1.) I have a few leads on obtaining a cylinder but I am wondering about safe practices for transporting a filled tank on public transportation. I live in NYC and don't own a car so I would most likely be bringing my filled cylinder back from the shop on the subway. Do you think this would be a problem? I've read some horror stories about cylinder saftey valves going bad and exploding tanks which makes me nervous about carrying a potentially dangerous item on the subways. What do you think, is it safe to travel on the subway with a filled CO2 tank?
its safe. 5 pounds you can keep in a backpack or bag. i never heard of anyone i know having one pop. worst case the blow off valve breaks and releases but the chance of that happening is very very very low. its one of the reasons why oyu have to get it checked every 5 years.

2.) It also looks like I could order a 5 lb cylinder online at aquariumplants.com for $49.99. They will also ship you a filled cylinder for $89.99. I know that's a lot to pay (it's due to the extra work of shipping hazerdous goods) but I was thinking it might be nice to have a pre-filled tank arrive on my doorstep. What do you all think, is this a good idea, or should I try harder to work out something locally?
i would look to see if you can find anything local. its $50 but there is shipping you might be able to pick one up local.

3.) I have a canister filter and I've heard I can use that as my reactor. I'm worried though that the CO2 might 'cause a airlock effect where there was a dry spot in the filter that could damage the pump. Or that it might break the siphon in the tubing. Has this ever happened to anyone? If I do want to use the cansiter as my reactor do I just splice a the CO2 tubing into the fiters tubes or should I place it in the tank so that the bubbles get sucked up into the filter intake?
if oyu are going into the intake you want to break the co2 up a little before going in. it shouldnt air lock it even with the bubbles but better safe then sorry. there are also inline ractors people build for the out put of the filter.

both are right should get a drop checker.

Hi Spilzer, I also live in NYC without a car and am looking into a CO2 tank. Have you found a place to fill it? I was thinking I would find a place first, then find out what style of tank they would be willing to fill.
Good luck, keep us posted on what you work out.

Thanks for all the great replies! I didn't get a chance to work on the project during my vacation (the days fill up so quickly) so I don't have any real news to report.

I think I agree that the cab is probably the way to go here. It'll also get me home faster so I can set up the system sooner, :)

AquaDrew - I found a fire extinguisher place on West 26th that says they do refills but don't sell new tanks (Able Fire Prevention Corp). There's also a place in Brooklyn, Liberty Gas, I believe that will do swap refills.

I'll definitely add a drop checker to the shopping list. And maybe a power head for distribution, though I was also thinking about getting one of those glass diffusers. Does anyone have experience with those, do they work well?

not as well as a power head. they can clog over time. also wont diffuse 100% with glass diffuser.

Okay, powerhead it is. I probably could use the extra water movement as well.

Still working on obtaining a cylinder. All the places I've contacted either don't sell them or only do trade-ins.

I emailed with Able Fire Extinguishers in Manhattan, T.W. Smith in Brooklyn and Liberty Gases in Brooklyn about obtaining a cylinder and none of them had what I was looking for (a brand new cylinder for less than $100). You're right that I probably could have found one on eBay but I decided to just go with aquariumplants.com. It's a bit on the pricey side (61.50 w/shipping) but I feel okay with that because of the convenience of not having to call more places and because I'll be getting exactly what I want.

I've been thinking about getting a maxi-jet or a penguin for my powerhead but I hadn't ever heard of the ZooMed ones before. They look good too but I'm not sure I really want the rotating head feature. Has it worked well for you? I'm assuming that you can just hook up the CO2 tube to the venturi air feature, correct?

i've heard a lot of people that say you can. everytime i do it though, too much co2 stops the impeller from pushing out water and it just bubbles out. i made a diy reactor

Update: still stocking supplies. I just purchased a brass check valve and a drop checker on ebay. I still need to get a powerhead or make a DIY reactor.

The CO2 cylinder should arrive today or tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the cylinder filled this weekend, or possibly next week. Then I'll be ready to hook it all up and get the system running. I'll be sure to document the whole process with photos once I get to actually putting it together.

Hooray, the CO2 cylinder arrived last Thursday. It's very shiny and brand new. I'm very pleased. Now I need to get it filled up, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to do that because the place near me is only open 8-4 on weekdays and I work during those hours.

I'm still trying to figure out which type of powerhead I want to get. The Koralias are very nice, but I don't know if they would chop up CO2 as well as a more traditional style powerhead. Opinions?

Have you looked into making a DIY vortex generator? I made one for my 36 gal. and it seems pretty efficient. I don't have an accurate meter but very few CO2 bubbles escape to the surface.

Is a vortex generator one of those PVC reactors with the bioballs in them? I'm definitely considering making one of those. But I was also attracted to the added bonus of more water movement from the powerhead, so I'm still undecided.

the diy reactor is powered by a powerhead. it pushes the water through the reactor. all you need is a hose coming out of the bottom of the reactor and into the tank and you can direct the flow anywhere you want.

the one that aquadrew made is pretty cool but it's in the tank. the one that i made like rex griggs reactor is out of the tank all together which makes for a nicer apearance

Back
Top Bottom