Setting up for planted 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SA fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have read all the threads about the various substrates, I just need some input. I will be setting up the tank for South American fish (Thats what my nicname means), so I would not be opposed to using ADA Aquasoil Amazonia, lowering the ph wont be a problem as my local water is around 8.2ph and pretty hard.

Along with South American fish, I plan on using low light South American plants.

I have been out of the fish hobby for about 10 years, it's amazing all the information that is now available, I just need a nudge in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome back! I just rejoined the world of fish myself. Personally I love my dirted tank. It took a little work but was less expensive. The only thing I wish I did different was to use a darker cap. I chose a lighter small gravel from the quarry. One 40 lb bag cost $6.00 and was more than I needed on my 55.

What type of SA fish are you planning on getting? Large/medium sized cichlids that will dig or smaller tetras and dwarf cichlids, angels or ???

As for substrate you have alot of choices from dirt, to commercial plant substrates, to sand or even small gravel. Fish will determine which one would be best. Dirt or commercial plant substrate will be good for plants.

As for plants what type of lighting are you getting? SA plants include Swords, Stargrass (Heteranthera zosteraefolia), Alternanthera reineckii), Green Cabomba, Vallisneria spiralis, and frogbit. Not all these are low light so you might want to consider getting lighting that is in the medium light range so you have a bigger variety of plants to chose from.

I plan on having small schools of runny nose tetras, cardinal tetras, black neon tetras and either corydoras julii or sterbae. Down the road when the tank is settled and planted a few German rams. I bought a basic Marinelad 55 gallon setup which came with a 200 watt heater, biowheel filter, hood, led day/night lights. I bought this just to get started, and as the budget allows will add Fluval canister filter with an inline hydor heater and new lights and whatever else I need depending where the fish and plants take me. I've had these fish before with the exception of the German Rams, I used to have 120 gallon setup that also included discus, which I would love to have again, but this tank is to small to allow it with the other fish I would like to have.

Just one thing I wouldn't recommend getting more than 2 rams unless you are going to plant your tank very very heavily. There is going to be alot of bickering and chasing between males and if any pairing occurs and actual territories are set the aggression levels between the rams can get pretty bad. I only keep 2 pairs now in my 220g tank. I removed another pair recently because even in a tank that big and heavily planted there is still alot of aggression between the males.

Sorry if I highjack this thread a bit. But my lfs has 2 electric blue rams. They have been there about a month. Is there any way to tell their sex? I know some rams are harder than others.

No need to apologise ztigris, I am interested in the sexing of Rams too. I have no experience with them and would like to add them to my tank down the road. At this time I still am confused about the substrate.

You do have a lot of choices. But your budget makes a difference. I wanted to put the money into co2 and the filter over substrate which is why I went with dirt.

Thankyou for the feedback so far, I have been away on vacation and will return home on January 3. I have narrowed down my choices for substrate to Eco-complete and MVP Turface. Any pros and cons on these would be greatly appreciated. I will be setting up the tank this week end and starting a fishless cycle.

I can only speak for Eco but I like the way it looks, the plants all do welll in it, and you use it straight from the bag (no rinsing required). It's very clean to use with little cloudiness upon settling up plus there is a clairifier in the water which has given me clear water within 12-24 hours. The only drawback IMO is the cost but considering the other plus factors it's worth the cost IMO.

I am also researching substrate for my 55..i have heard a lot about eco complete, but I was hoping for a light color.. Could I do base the eco and put a light color small gravel over top or no?

Depending on the size and weight of the other substrate used there is a good possibility that it will settle into the Eco. There are other commercial plant substrates that come in lighter colors.

Really? All I saw was black or red! What name or brand should I be looking for! Thanks again,

I think the Fluval Stratum is light, but get the shrimp size if you do that. Check into different substrate brands and see what's out there. All my tanks are Eco or dirt capped with Eco. I like the way black substates make the color on plants pop. Also many fish color up better with darker substrates.

Thanks! I never thought of it that way, I keep thinking I want the gravel to be the contrast.. But it really should be the fish and plants! I might have had an ah-huh moment ;-)

I thought that too because I have a black back tank. The only thing I regret about my setup is not having a dark cap.

Back
Top Bottom