shipping plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to ship some plants to a friend who lost all of her plants. Well it's cold as all get out here in Minnesota. I just want them to get to her in as good a condition as they are in my tank. Where do I get a foam container, and a heat pack. I have really nice plants but not a lot of money. I also have no idea how to pack the plants once I get the container and heat pack.
Here is what I am sending.
Amazon sword 19in tall not including the roots
Wisteria 22in (this one will bend so I am not worried about the height
Crypt wendtii (tiny) I got a ton of them from one of the little packs a petsmart)
Water lettuce
bunch of telanthera cardinalis
Crypt Balansae about 12in
A tiny anubia
and a bunch of anacharis
I want to do the right but as cheap as possible. So any help would be appreciated.

When I ship mine, I take a large enough box, and cut down 1/2"- 3/4" styrofoam insulation sheets to line the box. Then on the bottom I put a 72 hr heat pack ( bought from ebay ) & put a couple inches of styrofoam peanuts so the heat pack does not come in close contact with the plants. The plants themselves I wrap in a few wet paper towels, put them in a ziplock bag with an extra 1/4 cup of tank water, get most of the air out, and deal the bag. I put that in the box and surround it with more peanuts. Then I tape all the 'open' edges of the box and ship 2-3 day priority mail.

Back
Top Bottom