Shipping Plants to Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
There has been a lot of questions and doubts recently about the regulations regarding shipping of aquatic plants from the US to Canada. I have found the attached link which provides the current regulations. I've excertped the main portion of text here:

Nursery stock and other regulated commodities imported from other countries require a permit. Nursery stock includes all kinds and species of living or dormant plants grown or used for ornamentation, propagation or cropping.

Nursery stock includes plants for ornamental or propagation purposes such as trees, shrubbery, climbing plants, stems and suckers, buds, scions, plants under glass, wild or indigenous plants, perennials, roots, bulbs (offset), tree and shrub seeds, etc.

However, it does not include flowers and vegetable seeds, field crop seeds, onion sets, garlic, mushroom spawn and seed potatoes and aquatic plants from the United States.

The following items are included in regulated commodities (e.g. articles admitted conditionally):

1. all species and varieties of wheat including straw, bran and chaff from other countries and from some states of the United States
2. broom corn including samples and brooms made from broom corn of countries other than the United States
3. raw root crops such as horseradish, carrots, beets, parsnips, turnips, marigolds, onions and onion sets, garlic bulbs, yams, seed potatoes, etc., from all countries except Bermuda, mainland United States and the West Indies (including Cuba and the Bahamas).

Bags or containers from all countries used to transport temperate fruits or root crops require a phytosanitary certificate.

All shipments containing any of the above mentioned items must be directed to one of the Ports of Importation (see following list) for inspection of the shipment. All nursery stocks coming from any country must be accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate of inspection issued by the Department of Agriculture of the originating country stating that the shipment is free from insects, pests or diseases. This certificate is to be inserted in an envelope marked Certificate of Inspection and attached to the nursery stock wrapper or container.

Nursery stock and other regulated commodities may be imported from other countries with a valid import permit. Application forms to obtain a permit are available on the Canadian Food Inspection Agency website at: www.inspection.gc.ca/english/for/pdf/c5256e.pdf . Completed permit applications should be sent to:

CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY

PLANT HEALTH AND PRODUCTION DIVISION

PERMIT OFFICE

59 CAMELOT DR

OTTAWA ON K1A 0Y9

Along with an import permit, the importer will also be provided with a mailing label bearing the permit number, the name and address of the importer. This label should be forwarded to the shipper for affixing to the package before mailing.

Importers must retain their permit for presenting to Customs at the point where duty is paid so their shipment can be released. More information can be found on the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, Plant Health and Production Division website at: www.inspection.gc.ca/english/index/pppve.shtml .

Living insects, pests or diseases may be imported under permit for educational or scientific purposes only. Incoming mail containing these items will be routed through one of the Postal Ports of Importation listed below.

For more information regarding this, here is the link.

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/b06-e.asp

However, it does not include flowers and vegetable seeds, field crop seeds, onion sets, garlic, mushroom spawn and seed potatoes and aquatic plants from the United States.

I didn't notice the bolded part when I read it. cool info.

so all aquatic plants are ok? i am waiting on a shipment from bman and he sent them out last monday so i am kinda worried. if i dont get them tomorrow i think it will be to late and they will all be dead. so u should be able to sedn them through any form of mail not just the global priority mail that u mentioned to me before? oh and this is an awesome idea for a sticky good thinking jc!!

My first and only attempt took 9 days to reach the member. The good thing was it was java moss, which can survive most anything. If packed properly (heat packs are an absolute necessity in this kind of weather), there shouldn't be a problem. I did inform bman of this. I would think overnight would be faster but there is no guarantee.

ok so i just got a shipment from bman and it took 8 days to diliver using global priority mail and cost $8.50. the wrong postal code was accidently written(i used small case letters so he thought it was an i instaed of an lower case L) so i think this was what made it take so long. even with the 8 day dilivery the plants arrived in perfect condition and i was very pleased with them. i got about 6 or 8 stems and bman soaked a paper towel and then put a plant on and folded the towel over then another plant ontop and folded it over and so on untill it was all used up. and this was in early march so it was still pretty darn cold out (less than zero on most of the days it was beig shipped) i am looking foeward to trying this again with other users on this forum aswellso keep postin on the barter and trade section!!!

To add to mr funktastic's comment, this was my very first attempt at sending plants anywhere, and I picked someone up in Canada! I talked to a guy at the Department of Agriculture and he told me that he would need to come over and inspect my tank, and then issue a phyto cert. for a cost of $25.

I did the research, and found the site jchillin had pasted above. I also noticed the reference to aquatic plants.

I filled out the necessary paperwork for global priority mail and sent it away (but in my haste didn't study the postal code hard enough - oh well, lesson learned and the plants still arrived OK).

Bottom Line: If anyone is considering sending plants from the US to Canada or vice-versa, just keep in mind that the transit time maybe in the 5-8 day range, and plan accordingly. I did not pack the box with heat packs, but did stuff the box with poly-fill to insulate the package against dramatic changes in temp.

Just do it!

Back
Top Bottom