Should I add plantes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigpoppa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here is a pic of my 20g set up. Imo, its bare. I dont have room to add any other decor, so I was wondering if I could add some easy going plants for my fish to interact with.

I would be looking for something that has little to no upkeep, can grow with the sand, something that can grow off a 15w light, and would work with the scenary. Oh, and also, something that mystery snails and MTS wont want to eat.

Or if your like my ex and feel that there shouldn't be any plants in there bc it wont mesh with the decor, then by all means express your concerns too :) oh and sorry in advance for those who dislike the unnatural look.

Attachments

• 20g_setup_721.gif
    20g_setup_721.gif
    239.2 KB · Views: 28
I think some java moss tied to the decorations would look nice. Maybe some anacharis behind them and a crypt or two in the fore ground for balance.

I concur on the Java Moss. It's really easy to grow and it will look great on the ruins look.

Not really. It can grow fast, but you can just pull at it with your hands to trim it down or rearrange it.

how long does it take for java moss to attach itself to something? how does it grow? will it follow a given path like a vine?

My wife has java moss in her tank, we just put a rubber band around it on a clay pot. Has already grown completely around the pot and is starting to go through the gravel and the intake of the filter.

Either java moss or Anacharis would be some good plants to pick from. That stuff grows crazy. Snails might eat that though.

Really would nice with some background bunch planting behind that coliseum. Someone already mentioned anacharis - that's usually readily available in your LFS and cheap, if you decide you don't like it. Ambulia or wisteria might do well also. Both are pretty fast growers and easy to maintain.

I'd like to second the suggestion for Crypts and add both Java Fern and Anubias to the mix. The last two could be tied to your decor.

agreed with the java moss.. i think if you get some growing on those decors itll give it a nicer and more realistic look

my self i like lots of plants and drift wood and real rock caves but thats just me

Back
Top Bottom