Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-03-2006, 12:08 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

After unsuccessfully trying to find flourish nitrogen locally, I ended up buying the products mentioned by rich311K from GregWatson.

Purrbox mentioned dosing Fe to .1-.2, and dosing Potassium to 10-20 ppm. What about the Nitrate and Phosphate levels?

Old 11-03-2006, 05:37 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
now that you have all the ferts and have gotten your feet wet, what is stopping you from going all the way?

I see you have a DIY hood. could you put another 2x32 light in there? (shoplight with bulbs 15.00 at homedepot.)

regardless of the light, CO2 would be a good option also. You are at medium to medium-low light rightnow and the plants would benefit from the carbon. (to each his own, I don't mean to push this on you, just wondering.)

general EI ranges:

CO2 range 20-30 ppm
NO3 range 5-30 ppm
K+ range 10-30 ppm
PO4 range 1.0-2.0 ppm
Fe 0.2-0.5ppm or higher

Old 11-04-2006, 12:17 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the info on dosing. Can I add the dry ferts right to the tank, or do I need to mix them with water first?

Cost is the factor for my lack of CO2. I don't like the inaccuracy of DIY, and I've read it's not that great for tanks greater than 40 gallons. Pressurized is where the $$ comes in. I wouldn't mind trying excel, but I have lots of vals.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:23 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax911
Thanks for the info on dosing. Can I add the dry ferts right to the tank, or do I need to mix them with water first?
some do, some don't. I dose my KNO3 dry and all other in 250mls. see if this helps:

http://www.rexgrigg.com/dosing.htm

I assume you are going to be doing weekly dosing?
Old 11-04-2006, 08:31 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the link. I was thinking of dosing every other week, along with a pwc. Will I be doing the EI dosing I've heard about? Thus I will be doing at least a 50% water change, right?
Old 11-04-2006, 08:49 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Will I be doing the EI dosing I've heard about?
No. EI is all about providing a range of nutrients based on the maxium amount of uptake any plant could achieve during the week and ensuring that none of the nutrients will be used up before any other one. No test kits are necessary. You are going to have to use your plants to gauge how to dose or your test kits. You could EI dose, but it is overkill. Well, maybe I just need to sit down and think about a heavily mondified EI dosing schedule for you. I will have to get back to you.

I would have to now quite a bit of info to insure that all the nutrients does not become limited.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:19 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

Okay. So basically I will test for Nitrates and Phosphates (still need to get that test), and assume I can't over do it on potassium. Then I just dose what falls below my target range. That seems simple enough. As far as watching the plants, I should just learn what the symptoms are of bottoming out of any of the NPK nutrients.

Flourish will take care of all the other nutrients. I think I can manage that.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:42 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Okay. So basically I will test for Nitrates and Phosphates (still need to get that test), and assume I can't over do it on potassium. Then I just dose what falls below my target range. That seems simple enough. As far as watching the plants, I should just learn what the symptoms are of bottoming out of any of the NPK nutrients.

Flourish will take care of all the other nutrients. I think I can manage that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrbox
I would recommend dosing the Flourish Comprehensive and Potassium after your water change. Dose enough of the Flourish Comprehensive to get 0.1-0.2 fe and enough Potassium to get 10-20ppm of Potassium. If you check in the Stickies, the Fert one has some nice calculators to help you figure out how much you need to dose to get the needed levels.

You shouldn't need CO2 with this amount of light, and it would only be necessary to dose Nitrate and Phosphate if they start to bottom out.
Quote:
The third pic is classic BGA and is the one that should be of the most concern at the moment. Check your current to insure that the spot where it's showing up is get good flow. If it is then you'll need to start dosing Nitrates.
Quote:
Since you will probably be dosing fairly infrequently, I'd recommend just picking up a bottle of Seachem's Flourish Nitrogen (Seachem also makes Flourish Phosphorus for Phosphates and Flourish Potassium for Potassium). It's a great way to get your feet wet. If you find yourself going through it fairly fast, you can always make the switch to Greg Watson ferts and use the Flourish bottle to mix your KNO3 solution. This is how I started with ferts and I haven't regretted it one bit.

The only test kits for ferts are Nitrates and Phosphates. Potassium is nearly impossible to overdose, so you can just use your plants as guide on whether you need to add more. Seachem makes a test kit for Phosphates that is supposed to be nearly as good as the LaMotte kit.

The CSM+B is basically the same as your Flourish Comprehensive. If you're going to order from GregWatson, you might as well get some of it too so that you've got it on hand for when the Flourish runs out. I'd skip the PMDD as it is a set ratio of nutrients and can't be adjusted if you need more of one nutrient but less of another. You're really better off just going ahead and ordering the individual nutrients so that you can taylor them to your tank's needs.
I think that about covers it.

dose weekly for NPK and traces. (target NO3's being 10-20 PPM)

Tags
algae, dosing, pics, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com