should i change my substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumrah

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a 10g tank that until recently only had java ferns. I've turned it into a semi-biotope for my Rams. I took the carbon out of my filter and replaced it with peat. I've also put in a few pieces of driftwood, some small smooth stones, 1 small sword, 1 melon sword, and a crypt, a few more java ferns, and some duckweed.

I just increased the light to 2 50/50 coralife 20w mini-cf (from what i understand the acitinic blue does not contrubute to plant growth). So i'm running about 2wpg.

As a result of all of this, the two rams in there got really happy and started spawning. However, the ph is still two high for my liking (as well as the ram eggs). My ph is 7.5. I have used RO water in an effort to lower this, but it only causes swings. There is a buffer in my tank, and i've decided it's the sand substrate.

I've been vacuuming out as much as i can each water change, but i really hate the purple gravel underneath.

My question is, should i go ahead and change out the substrate to eco-complete, or something similar? I'd like to help out my plants some more, so i can perhaps add some carpeting or another small sword. I will probably inject CO2 eventually, but not anytime soon.

So, would it be worth the trouble to change out my substrate?
Thanks,
David

I would dump the clown puke and sand. Switch it out for the eco-complete. Your plant will love it. What is your tap pH?

Or my favorite red sea flora base. It helps keep my ph stable and plants go nuts in it.
Sounds like you might have some aragonite sand, with peat and driftwood your ph should drop. something is definitley buffering it up. I would vinegar test the stones and the sand.

It really depends on the intensity of light and wether or not your needing to inject CO2 that will dictate the need for eco-complete.. If you have a low light tank then your not likely to see much improvement from a plant substrate, the plants just wont need the added nutrients.. If you plant on getting at least medium light ~2wpg then sure go ahead and put some improved substrate in but if your at ~1-1.5wpg and dont plan on ever going up to medium or high light +CO2 and ferts then its pretty much a waste of money... Hope this Helps 8)

btw. You have 50/50 CF thats about 1wpg useable light.. so your at low light right now..

You have 50/50 CF thats about 1wpg useable light.. so your at low light right now..

But i have 2 20W bulbs. I would think at least half of each would contribute to wpg.

with peat and driftwood your ph should drop
I know, what's crazy is the ph in this tank is higher than my tap! Even if i dont go with a plant substrate, what's a good natural looking substrate that wont raise my ph? Even better, is there one that will soften the water and lower the ph?

I thought that 20 watts was the total...
Still yet you wouldnt need eco-complete yet it would do you some good at 2wpg..
Have you tested the ph of your tapwater after it has set out 24hrs?
I would be consered with disturbing the ram eggs right now if I were you..
Have you tested the KH of your water? Maybe that will help you with preventing PH swings..
And there is no substrate that could soften the water and lower the PH.. you really dont need a lower ph.. think about it your rams spawned for greef sake! your definatly doing something right!!! (y) Just keeping your PH stable is all thats nessisary to keep things healthy.. :mrgreen:

i suppose that's true. I do plan on at least changing the substrate out for something more attractive, and doesnt buffer the ph. I'll do it gradually to prevent stress on the rams.
Oh, and all the eggs are gone. Eaten i believe

Changing the substrate would be on my list of things to do if I were you.. but keep in mind if you go with 6400K bulbs that your going to need to inject CO2, before hand would be wise.. you will be in high light territory and you will really need better substrate.. and getting some ferts ahead of time would be wise if you wish to make the light bulb switch..
From my understanding you can expect the rams to spawn again in a couple of weeks if there still happy with the tank :mrgreen:

The coralife bulbs i have in now are
50% 10,000K Daylight, 50% Actinic 03 Blue

How diffucult would it be for me to make a diy CO2 thingy? I'm pretty diy friendly, i just havent seen very clear plans for one.

With 20W of 10,000K, should i seriously consider a plant substrate? Maybe I could do one of those layered substrates?

Back
Top Bottom