Should i have live plants??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samfred0205

Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't have any live plants in my tank. Are they more beneficial than plastic? I have a general community tank with sand as a substrate. What are the pros and cons of plants? What kind of plants would you recommend? And I would like just any tips for live plants

Wow, lots of info you are asking for here in this thread... I try to briefly address some of it.

There are some benefits from using live plants - namely plants uptake Nitrogen for growth in the form of Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrogen, so they help keep those levels down in a tank. Most folks find them to be more aesthetically pleasing than plastic as well, though that is a matter of taste and opinion.

The drawbacks would be a potential for increased expense (lighting can be expensive, and most stock lighting isn't suitable for growing plants), and it can also lead to a lot of frustration in terms of algae growth and balance (increased lighting is GREAT for algae too).

The kinds of plants you can keep depends greatly on the size of the tank, how much maintenance you want to do, how much money you want to invest, and how much light you have on the tank.

Tips:
Start with low light plants. Read up on fertilizing a planted tank, and understand CO2 injection. Understand the relationships between lighting, macro nutrients, trace elements, CO2 uptake, substrate, etc. Most folks who just go to petsmart and buy plants without understanding the basic requirements end up having them turn brown, rot, and die after a few weeks or months, and never go back. Personally, I find the plants more of a challenge, and also more satisfying than stocking with fish -- it is a hobby in and of itself.

Here is some more info on ferts and CO2 in a planted tank:
Introduction to Fertilizing the Planted Tank - Aquarium Advice
Beginner's Guide to CO2 Injection in the Planted Tank - Aquarium Advice

I don't have any live plants in my tank. Are they more beneficial than plastic? I have a general community tank with sand as a substrate. What are the pros and cons of plants? What kind of plants would you recommend? And I would like just any tips for live plants

I am new to the hobby also. I was into it over 20 years ago as a teenager, but pretty much new to it now. I just got my tank going and i am going with low light plants. I have been told plants such as anubias and java ferns will be fine with the stock light sources and do not need co2. I plan on adding many more plants, but this is what i have so far. I just got it going last night.
img_2293890_0_48df56b74c67bc302e846419aa7fa674.jpg

Just as an alternative to expensive lighting, I'll tell you why I'm doing. I have a 55g that in working on going all planted. Currently I have a banana plant and a crypt wendtii, Waiting on anubias nana to come it at LFS. What I've done is I went to Walmart, you can also find these light bulbs at home depot or lowes, got the CFL daylight bulbs and you need to look for anything that has 6500k on the box (on the box I bought I found this information on the back) I paid $8 for a 3 pack. I just bought the clip on lamps from Walmart, paid about 8$ for it. I only have one on my tank at the moment but I plan on buying atleast one more clip on light next week. Here's a picture of the box I got.

Attachments

• image-4078743274.jpg
    image-4078743274.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 88
I am new to the hobby also. I was into it over 20 years ago as a teenager, but pretty much new to it now. I just got my tank going and i am going with low light plants. I have been told plants such as anubias and java ferns will be fine with the stock light sources and do not need co2. I plan on adding many more plants, but this is what i have so far. I just got it going last night.
img_2295005_0_48df56b74c67bc302e846419aa7fa674.jpg

I like it. You might consider the lighting suggestion and something taller like an Amazon sword or some stem plants. I never have luck with stem plants but many people on here do so I think its just me. You will also need some ferts.

Micro & Macro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

This link was what was suggested to me to use. I am still learning about plants. I have houseplats down but aquascaping is different. (y)

I like it. You might consider the lighting suggestion and something taller like an Amazon sword or some stem plants. I never have luck with stem plants but many people on here do so I think its just me. You will also need some ferts.

Micro & Macro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

This link was what was suggested to me to use. I am still learning about plants. I have houseplats down but aquascaping is different. (y)

Yes, i definitely want to get some taller plants. Just not sure what will work for my limited situation. It sounds like my situation is pretty similar to the original poster in regards to low light. As for the bulbs suggested, how does that look. I prefer the hoods like what i have. It sounds like what was suggested might not be what i am aiming for aesthetically.

Try a couple of easy plants and go from there. Stem plants ? I've had good luck with
Ludwigia repens
Or Bacopa monnieri

Crypts, Mosses , or Ferns often work.

I use liquid ferts to start. Easy as pie, but pricy long term for big tanks and root tabs ( you can make your own ).

Seachem Flourish comprehensive and Root tabs plus 6-8 hours of light ( I use timers ).
Weekly partial water changes.

I have sand in both my main tanks.

How often are you dosing the liquid ferts?

1-2x weekly. Usually after every PWC. My root caps ( mine I got very cheap on The Planted Tank...members only Mart area...FREE to join )

This is an example of one sellers prices
( NOT ME !!! )

His original ad HAS pics

"Hey TPT, after recouping from the New year, I now have some stuff available for sale!

Food Samples
100% Bee pollen, Great food for shrimp and fish!

$1 per Gram, Shipping is $1 Depending on quantity or Combine with other's for free shipping.

Borneo Wild Barley, Shrimp love it and why not try it!

$1 per Gram, Shipping is $1 Depending on quantity or Combine with other's for free shipping.

Leaf Litter

Pesticide Free, Hand picked and Boiled for no tannins Maple and Mulberry Leaves!

Maple Leafs! Shrimp and snails love them as they eat the Biofilm and Chlorophyll off them, not as Popular as Mulberry's in my tank they go crazy for them!

1 bag of leaves $2 ea. contains 3-5 full leaves, pick between maple,mulberry,or mixed. Shipping is $2 first class with Delivery Conformation!

Root Tabs

Iron Clay Root tabs: Place under Substrate to feed heavy root feeders or just Iron Monsters!

Contains:

Natural red clay
13% Iron chlelate
Osmocote plus

Price:

20 - $5
40 - $8
100 - $15
200 - $20

Osmocote Plus Capsules

'00' sized capsules
-Vegetarian capsules
-Kosher certified
-Halal certified and inspected

25 - $5
50 - $8
75 - $11
100 - $14
200 - $22
300 - $29

If you want this stuff join TPT and shop there as well as AA's Mart Forum. Start here, then check TPT for more sellers.

*emailing Me will Not help. I have NO connection to the seller, just showing you a real ad for real prices.

Shipping is usually very cheap for root caps. I plan to get his/her Iron Clay Root Tabs. Want to try them for my Red Ludwigia.

I rarely dose any type of ferts.... its normally a case of "when i remember".....

i do nothing special... no CO2... OCCASIONAL ferts... lighting is T5HO 6700K 2x54w 48" life-glo bulbs... its on a timer.... **** thing nearly runs it self.

I do weekly 40-50% pwcs... dose a small amount of prime. And thats it... no more, no less.

Did some re-scaping over the weekend... this is before.
tNNeQ.jpg

This is after...
BJ6pkm4.jpg

To answer your questions... i have to agree with PP... there is some benefit to the nitrogen cycle... however i just think they look better then plastic!! The movement in the water etc...

What kind of plant is the grassy looking one? Also I have just a stock full spectrum bulb would that be enough to support some low light plants?

Select only healthy looking plants. If they look in poor condition, black spots, yellowing leaves, holes in leave, brown edges/spots. Skip it and wait for something better.

That's not to say there may one or two leaves which just need a trim off and the rest of the plant looks like it is supposed to. Chances are as a beginner a sickly plant won't be doing you any favors in your tank.

Generally redder the leaves are the more light they need.

Root tab and liquid fertilizers will help them grow better, follow directions as a beginner.

I have found giving a break during the light period of 6-12 hours with the light being off for a couple hours called a "Siesta" keeps the algae growth down, mainly if you like/want your light on a lot.

A timer is useful and inexpensive, after Christmas sometimes you can find clearance deals on stuff people normally would have used for their Christmas lights, for really cheap. Like indoor/outdoor power cords/timers/even remote controls, lol!

Read, research and ask questions. Have fun and enjoy.

Do a little checking on design basics like rule of thirds. Grouping taller items to the farther areas and shorter ones to the front. Think about the design you are trying to achieve, like a natural tank will not look right with a row of rocks spaced 2" apart across the front of the tank.

In the before pic, most of what you are seeing is cyperus helferi.... very front of the tank. This grows like crazy in my tank... i actually took three of them out because they keep sprouting new plants.

there is also Crypt spiralis, if you look at the after pic. the back right corner, tall green.

Do you have any specs on the bulb? color temp? etc?

IMO the 8000K is ok...

you only have a single tube?

the 15W is what is throwing me off, you MIGHT be ok for low light plants.... if you start getting serious about keeping more plants.. you may want to look into t5HO lighting...

Back
Top Bottom