Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2018, 12:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Should I invest in a light thatís considered medium-high light? Like the finnex plant

So I have a 55 gallon tank with aqua soil substrate and just started injecting co2 today from a 20 oz paintball tank and mini regulator. I plan on upgrading to a bigger system in the upcoming months as I know Iíll be refilling quite often with only 20 oz. I didnít realize how addicting and interesting this hobby can become but I love it. Lol. Anyway I bought a Nicrew LED a month ago for about $60-70 dollars off amazon. Reading more into this hobby however Iím not sure if this light is adequate enough for all the plants I have (I have 17 different species currently in and I am trying to carpet pearl weed and dwarf hair grass on the two sides of the tank). Is it worth it to invest in a Finnex Planted Plus light for $150 because itís considered for medium-high light plants? Or am I wasting my money? I also plan on starting the EI method of fertilizing. Thanks for any feedback or advice!

Old 02-18-2018, 08:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lighting will make a difference for sure. It's a s tall tank but the 24/7 will do well for low/med light plants.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Lighting will make a difference for sure. It's a s tall tank but the 24/7 will do well for low/med light plants.

Do I need high light though if I want to carpet and have a lot of plants? Could you recommend one for me if I do?
Old 02-18-2018, 09:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't need it... it may take a while but you can do it with certain plants. Staur repens. High light on that tank would be expensive...
Old 02-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Don't need it... it may take a while but you can do it with certain plants. Staur repens. High light on that tank would be expensive...

Iím with brookster, if your wanting to go into high lighting you may need to get 2x kessil Tuna suns or 2x 16Ē SB FW reef lights. To get into seriously high lighting on a 55g your looking at some pretty expensive gear.

Medium-high lighting (say 2x finnex fixtures) will grow basically all plants but if you want the really light intensive plants or extreme reds youíll want strong lights.

Also it would be worth your while to make a co2 reactor if you running canister filters.

Hereís 2 diy reactors that are cheap to make:
Griggs - http://rotalabutterfly.com/rex-grigg/diy-reactor.htm

Cerges - https://glassboxgardeners.com/thread...2-reactor.346/

A reactor will make your co2 last a lot longer and give a much better spread of co2 in your tank
Old 02-18-2018, 03:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert2oo1 View Post
Iím with brookster, if your wanting to go into high lighting you may need to get 2x kessil Tuna suns or 2x 16Ē SB FW reef lights. To get into seriously high lighting on a 55g your looking at some pretty expensive gear.

Medium-high lighting (say 2x finnex fixtures) will grow basically all plants but if you want the really light intensive plants or extreme reds youíll want strong lights.

Also it would be worth your while to make a co2 reactor if you running canister filters.

Hereís 2 diy reactors that are cheap to make:
Griggs - http://rotalabutterfly.com/rex-grigg/diy-reactor.htm

Cerges - https://glassboxgardeners.com/thread...2-reactor.346/

A reactor will make your co2 last a lot longer and give a much better spread of co2 in your tank

I have a glass diffuser and reactor already. Iím buying a few powerheads to get better circulation throughout the tank. I guess Iím just going to invest in the finnex planted 24/7. I donít have that kind of money to spend $500+ on lights.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmaroutsis View Post
I have a glass diffuser and reactor already. Iím buying a few powerheads to get better circulation throughout the tank. I guess Iím just going to invest in the finnex planted 24/7. I donít have that kind of money to spend $500+ on lights.

Make sure to check the par rating at your tank depth of the fixture u buy. For mid to high youíll want 50+ at substrate level for most carpet plants
Old 02-18-2018, 04:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

How do I find out which have 50+ par? Can you recommend one to me?
Old 02-18-2018, 04:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Should I invest in a light thatís considered medium-high light? Like the finnex plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmaroutsis View Post
How do I find out which have 50+ par? Can you recommend one to me?

Finnex 24/7 has 45 par at 20Ē depth on max.

Finnex stingray has 21 at 20Ē

Finnex Ray2 has 75 at 20Ē

Fluval plant 2.0 has 67-80 at 20Ē

Current satilite+ has 20+ at 20Ē

Thatís a few to get u started

Not really sure whatís available at your tank size. Majority of lights I know of that are used for larger tanks are in the $500+ range

Edit: Iíve heard a few people talking about the quality of finnex laterly. The fluval has a better warranty and is apparently very well built.

End of the day u get what you pay for I guess
Old 02-18-2018, 04:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Fluval 2.0 looks good for $185. You think itís worth the investment? You think Iíd be able to carpet with it while also injecting co2?

Tags
fin, light, plant, red

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com