Should i use aquarium salt on my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Impulse09

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im not sure if I should use the salt, but I have 6 peppered cory catfish, 3 diamond tetras, 2 german blue rams and live plant. 2 amazon swords and a fern type. Will the salt hurt my catfish, I heard they are sensitive to it. Also I heard plants are not good with salt.

Here is my tank

Good morning. You can count on 2 things...you will be asked to divulge the size of your tank and will be informed that 3 diamond tetras does not a school make.

Outside of that, the use of salt in an otherwise healthy tank will elicit responses from both sides of the house. From what I've been able to learn from here is that the amount you would use in a healthy tank is so negligible that you could be justified in not bothering at all.

Fact of the matter is that adding salt regularly is neither necessary nor to be recommended for freshwater fish. On the other hand, there are opinions/myths that salt is beneficial and you should add it on a regular basis.
The fish being kept in the tank in question all come from softer salt free waters.

Thanks, I am planning on getting two More diamond tetras. I didn't want to overstock the tank it is newly cycled

Corys are very sensitive to salt. I wouldn't do it.

The only time I use salt in my fresh tanks is if there's a possibility of ich. Otherwise, not necessary.

Fact of the matter is that adding salt regularly is neither necessary nor to be recommended for freshwater fish. On the other hand, there are opinions/myths that salt is beneficial and you should add it on a regular basis.
The fish being kept in the tank in question all come from softer salt free waters.

Certainly not going to argue about the salt in the tank; agree that is not necessary for freshwater (provided you are not using only RO, RO/DI, or distilled water in your tank, which also not recommended for freshwater), but curious about the salt free water statement. Is there truly such a thing as salt free natural waters? From what I've read and seen, almost all freshwater streams/rivers/lakes have a salinity content of some type, curious as to which natural streams/rivers/lakes are truly salt free?

Back
Top Bottom