Shrimp emergeny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin.b

Aquarium Advice Addict
Lately some of my shrimp have been dying off. I not sure why. My water parameters are always perfect (emphasis on perfect) the only thing I see that could be a problem is some metal that's holding some ludwigia together. It's the metal that come with bunched plants when you first buy them. It's really flexible. It's been buried in my substrate for a more than 3 months now. Do you think it's leaking copper or other hazardous chemicals into the water column? Other than that I'm not sure.

that metal is lead, it shouldnt do anything to your fish/shrimp. as to why your shrimp are dying im not sure, hopefully someone else can help.

Bschowa said:
that metal is lead, it shouldnt do anything to your fish/shrimp. as to why your shrimp are dying im not sure, hopefully someone else can help.

Oh ok, I got scared. I already removed it from the tank. Thanks and I hope someone else will chime in:(

Its not lead. It hasn't been lead for years. Its an inert zinc/magnesium alloy thats total aquarium safe.

How long have you had said shrimp?

aqua_chem said:
Its not lead. It hasn't been lead for years. Its an inert zinc/magnesium alloy thats total aquarium safe.

How long have you had said shrimp?

About a week, absolutely no more than a week. Maybe about 6 or 7 days now.

aqua_chem said:
What kind of shrimp and what are you feeding them? Ever had shrimp before?

RCS and I feed them regular flakes. No, this is my fist time keeping dwarf shrimp, I've had some ghost shrimp before. I've had other shimp like fire in there before for about 2 weeks and all was well. No deaths in those, but the RCS, thats a different story. Should I start feeding shrimp pellets and algea wafers?

jetajockey said:
I'd do some big water changes for the next few days just in case something got into the tank that shouldn't be there.

I did a %50 percent change yesterday. I will definetly do another water Change tomorrow. I realised that because my shrimp colony is larger I should start feeding shrimp pellets and algea wafers and such. I think they were dying off because of hunger. I feel like such an idiot. >.< for some reason, I just didn't ever think about feeding them. Ergg. But I just popped in 2 shrimp pellets and had a swarm of shrimp consume it:) how often should I feed them and how much? Thanks everyone for the help, I really appreciate it!!

Back
Top Bottom